AP Testing this week

Gerd Altmann via Pixabay

Gerd Altmann via Pixabay

Gerd Altmann via Pixabay

Aman Manazir, Business Manager

In many classrooms, if you were to look around, you would probably see several empty desks this last week and this next week. AP testing is taking place for two weeks, and many students are diligently taking AP exams during the school day.

AP testing originated in the 1950’s when several administrators began to fear that high school was not adequately preparing students for college. These administrators looked into Ivy League schools such as Harvard and Yale and discovered that certain high schools were not only preparing students for college, but they had already covered information taught in entry-level college classes. This was the foundation of the AP program, that students could take a national test to prove knowledge in a specific subject in order to move past an entry-level college class in that subject.

Back then, AP testing cost only $10 to take as many as you wanted, with none of them taking over 3 hours. Now, AP tests often go over 3 hours, with some reaching 4, and all of them cost over $90. While some of these changes are adjusting for changes in the economy, some may argue that this great price stops some students from taking AP exams.

However, to those who are able to take the exams, scoring a 5 on an exam is a great achievement and proves that the student is not only capable, but well versed in the basics of that subject. A 5 is a good indicator that a student could easily jump from an entry level class to a second level class, and many colleges and universities use that to place students ahead. However, there are several universities that doubt the validity of these AP test scores.

Top-tier universities such as Harvard and Yale usually do not take many AP credits, and if they do, they either give elective credit or only take a 5. For example, AP Physics 1 and 2, even with a 5, will not get a student any credit at these universities. Only a 5 in AP Physics C (the calculus version of physics) will give any credit at all. Even if a student is eligible for the credit, they are often advised not to skip the college class, as university classes are often much more rigorous.

AP testing is taking place at the Belmont Administration center or at the AEA. Good luck to all those students who are taking the exams this week!