The hottest clubs at PV

Clubs are a great way for students to connect to one another, gain experience, and be involved in their school. PV offers many clubs in which students are encouraged to join at any time within the year. If you are interested in making your own club, contact the office for information on how to do so. The clubs investigated are new and looking for new members to join.

Four Square Club is the perfect club for anyone interested in a relaxed game with some socialization to start their Wednesday off right. “It’s a fun, short activity to get your blood going in the morning,” club organizer Ian Spangenberg says. Students of all grades attend as well as some teachers. Anybody interested in partaking in Four Square Club is welcome Wednesday mornings at 7:45 a.m. in the small gym.

Environmental Club is one of the newest clubs to emerge at PV. This club features activities in order to build a better environment–making a difference in many lives. “Environmental Club is planning to do things at and around the school as well as campaign to raise awareness of environmental issues,” club director, Lynne Lundberg, adds. Students interested in helping to save the planet, one step at a time, are encouraged to attend. Environmental Club will also feature fun, environmental activities and projects that may offer some service learning opportunities as well. Students interested should keep an eye on announcements to know which Wednesdays they will be meeting.

Students interested in learning and playing ultimate frisbee are welcome to join PV’s new Ultimate Frisbee Club. Club members are to meet on Mondays and Fridays at 2:45 p.m. in room 248 (the computer lab across from club director, Julie Spelhaug’s classroom). If you don’t have any equipment, don’t let that stop you. Evan Decker, club founder and senior at PV, says, “There is no need to bring your own frisbee.” T-shirt designs are also currently in the works. If you’re interested in joining Ultimate Frisbee Club, contact Spelhaug or stop by the computer lab on a day in which the club meets.

Many are helping to make a greener school by participating in PV Plant Club. Planting season has begun. When the edible plants are ready for consumption, the food is harvested and is to be implemented into the food served in the cafeteria. PV Plant Club will be meeting Thursday, Sept. 29 at 3:30 p.m. in room 160, club director Janel Worlein’s classroom. Everybody is welcome to join. Senior planters, Ellie Zupancic and Seth Moffitt are “trying to reach our whole [school] population with getting our produce into the lunchroom.”

Discover something new, maybe life-changing, in Astronomy Club. This club features interesting group discussions about the vast world far from our small planet. Observations and field trips to a variety of places are also a large part of this club. Planetariums and telescope viewing locations are just a few of the opportunities available to the members of the Astronomy Club. Students of all grades are encouraged to join–no prior knowledge of astronomy is required. Spangenberg is excited to share his knowledge and love for astronomy to students in hopes they, too, can obtain a lifelong hobby of astronomy. Astronomy Club meets in room 242, Spangenberg’s classroom, on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.

GLI, short for Girls Learn International, is a club focusing on the issues affecting girls around the world. “During school meetings, we discuss issues affecting girls–nationally and internationally– such as media, images, issues about child bribes, and lack of opportunities for a lot of girls around the world,” club director, Jenni Levora, states. Girls Learn International will also begin to have film nights in which they will view films, such as “He Named Me Malala” as well as partnering with Gentlemen’s Club to help collect items for a toiletry drive for the areas women’s shelters. Anybody is encouraged to attend GLI, no matter gender or grade. GLI meets in room 273 (Levora’s classroom) weekly at 3:30 p.m. to discuss varying topics. Make sure to check the announcements to find out which day of the week GLI is meeting if you’re interested.
There are a large variety of clubs offered at PV–one for just about everybody. Visit http://pleasval.org/clubs-organizations/ to check out more clubs.