Don’t blame Ariana Grande

Emma via Wikimedia Commons
Ariana Grande sings on stage.

Many have heinously suggested that Ariana Grande is at fault for Mac Miller’s death; that she is the reason Miller began using drugs and overdosed. This statement is false, Grande is not responsible for Miller’s troublesome drug use and tragic passing. People began to believe this after a post was made on social media accusing Grande of being the cause of his passing.

Social media has the ability to influence the thoughts of its readers. When one opens Twitter and sees the first post’s headline, “Ariana Grande’s ex overdoses after breakup,” they follow that story and pass it on. This is a big issue in our society because once a post is made, it will never disappear. As soon as someone blamed Grande for the loss of Miller, millions of people viewed that story and bought into the propaganda.

More often than not, news sources put their own twists on stories to make them more dramatic and seemingly interesting, but the information is not accurate. What people don’t seem to realize when they view and share this story is how this fake information can ruin peoples lives. Being blamed for someone else’s death is brutal, especially if it’s not true. For this reason, celebrities such as Grande, are falsely accused of crimes they didn’t commit.

Miller’s death was ruled an overdose. A decision was made and an unfortunate turn of events resulted in his passing. However, his overdose was in no way Grande’s fault. Could he have been using drugs to cope with issues regarding her? Absolutely, but this does not make it her fault. Drug usage is a serious issue in our society and especially in the Hollywood industry.

Many celebrities feel the need to turn to drugs or alcohol when they experience overpowering emotions from stress, hate, or depression. Celebrities are still humans, except every move they make is watched. This can weigh on a person both mentally and physically as well as lead to substance abuse. His somber death could have been used as an eye opener to all of those in need of help for substance abuse. Instead, many hopped on a disgusting bandwagon of misdirected grief and falsely accusing Grande.

Misogyny is very relevant in today’s society and Grande first-hand experienced it after Miller passed away.  Miller’s death was caused by a self-induced overdose, however most fingers are pointed to Grande. She experienced this earlier in May after Miller was in a car accident while under the influence. Once again, many people blamed her for his substance abuse due to the breakup, but she didn’t let it slide.

Grande tweeted a screenshot from her notes with a message saying, “I am not a babysitter or a mother and no woman should feel that they need to be. I have cared for him and tried to support his sobriety & prayed for his balance for years (and always will of course) but shaming/blaming women for a man’s instability to keep his s**t together is a very major problem.” Women and men are of the same human species and deserve to be treated equally. This being said, no woman should be more at fault for a crime due to her gender or past relationships with a man.