The discussion to prevent tragedy

Nicolas Völcker via wikimedia commons
Mac Miller preforming in February 2017.

This week the world experienced the loss of Mac Miller; the Pittsburgh native passed on Friday, Sept. 7 due to a drug overdose. An immense amount of fans, celebrities, and family reached out on social media sending their prayers to Miller and his family. A majority of the posts portrayed messages along the lines of offering condolences and paragraphs about how the artist affected them growing up.

This is a tragedy. Drug usage is in issue in itself; yet something must have prompted this drug use. Although sources have not confirmed Miller’s overdose as a suicide, Miller himself had admitted to having suicidal thoughts. It is unfortunate that such a young life was taken to addiction, most likely prompted by his own self-medication for mental illness.

Many other celebrities struggle with issues regarding mental illness and addiction. Singer Demi Lovato has been open with her audience about mental illness throughout her lifetime. In hopes to destroy the stigma associated to mental illness, Lovato has even included the discussion about her issue in her recently released documentary.

The question that many will ask regards whether or not Miller could have been saved. Could someone have saved him from an illness? If the stigma about depression and mental illness was gone, how many lives could be saved?

Senior Vashi Chintalapalli believes that the problem concerning drug usage in high school aged kids is more than what meets the eyes. He said, “Instead of drawing attention to the overdose itself, we need to focus on why people overdose and what factors are important influencers. And, I think that part of the answer is that drugs are the only way many people have to find escape — they’re a form of instant relief.”

High school counselor Kerry Anderson insists that mental illness is a topic that needs more discussion and should not be looked down upon. Anderson said, “Insist on the fact that there’s something not right. Too often, I think kids feel there’s a stigma associated with seeing a therapist or admitting you’re having some issues… You need a professional to diagnose and work with you.”

Society has made impressive progress regarding mental illness throughout history, especially affecting upcoming generations. “I think more and more students and parents are learning about mental illness as a result of the tons of information out there [online],” Anderson said.

In regards to working to destroy the stigma surrounding mental illness, Chintalapalli believes the attention surrounding it can and will help some people. He said, “Media overdoses can best be used to draw attention to these issues that are actively affecting people our age. Seeing a hero die to something that could be helped with better mental health supports is tragic for anyone, but it’s important to look at what caused this.”