We matter, too

Black Lives Matter Movement

Recently at Pleasant Valley High School, students have opened their eyes to the thought of equality. Unite Club raised student awareness for suicide during the month of September, but continually raises awareness for several other causes throughout the year. The Black Lives Matter Movement has become more prominent due to multiple recent shootings. According to the Washington Post, the news is covered with “an unarmed 55 year old black woman, was shot on Dec. 26, 2015, an unarmed 23 year old black man, was shot on Dec. 31, 2015,  an unarmed 40 year old black man, was shocked with a stun gun and shot on Sept. 16, 2016,  an unarmed 22 year old black man, was shot on Aug. 30, 2016” all shootings caused by police officers and all victims shot unarmed. The treatment toward black lives has gotten worse and worse, and the fight for equality and respect is even harder.

On Aug. 30, Mariah Harvard, a high school girl, was asked to take off her black shirt with the statement across the chest saying “Black Lives Matter.” Harvard was respectful and took off the shirt but was hurt that she could not voice her opinion through her clothing. The principal and students at the school took the saying as a way to say other lives don’t matter.

At Pleasant Valley the students are allowed to voice their beliefs and opinions in a respectful manner. Trevon Montgomery, Senior, says, “ I think a lot of people take ‘Black Lives Matter’ meaning ONLY black lives matter, when really that is not the case. At Pleasant Valley, I think the black students are treated pretty fairly.” The statement Black Lives Matter isn’t saying Hispanic lives don’t matter, and it isn’t saying White lives don’t matter. The statement Black Lives Matter is saying Black Lives Matter too.

Why should there need to be attention brought to lives that have been privileged, to those who have been granted equality, and have been given everything since day one? Many black lives have been stripped of their humanity, worth and respect. Because of this, the Black Lives Movement needs to be more prominent. “At Pleasant Valley we try to emphasize acceptance. Not forcing others ideas down your throat but instead respecting them enough to be able to get along” says, Principal, Mike Zimmer. By respecting everyone’s beliefs, it would create an equal environment instead of one where different groups are fighting for a shine in the spotlight.

The spotlight needs a shift, it needs to shine on the lives that others have tried to make into a shadow. This movement is not giving up anytime soon, the fight will never end and the respect black lives deserve will soon be achieved. By putting a spotlight or a name to The All Lives Matter movement is creating the wrong look, “Don’t get me wrong, all lives do matter. But NOT all lives have to worry about their brother making it home safely. NOT all lives are being treated wrongly in America” senior, Teleah Thomas, states.

Black lives matter just as much as anyone else’s life does. Voices and opinions are what make America unique and independent, so silencing the voice will only make the movements scream louder. Respect the rights of every human being because everyone deserves a voice, a life, and the utmost love in this chaotic world.

$580
$1000