Hurricane Florence causes massive damage

By NASA Goddard Space Flight Center from Greenbelt, MD, USA [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Hurricane Florence slammed into the east coast as a category one hurricane on Sept. 14 with winds reaching 90 mph. The following Sunday it was downgraded to a tropical depression but the damage was far from over. Florence had already brought torrential rainfall through the Carolinas and Virginia and even more was expected to come. This high amount of rainfall has caused water levels of local rivers and streams to rise causing extreme flooding.

This storm has created a lot of damage along the east coast. Tornados have developed from the outskirts of Florence, bringing strong winds that have caused trees to come crashing down. High flooding has swept away cars and destroyed power lines, leaving families without electricity, many who are still trapped inside their homes.  Risks still include additional flooding, mudslides, tornadoes, and landslides.

These conditions became too dangerous for residents to stay in their houses, so many communities opened up safety shelters for those who were able to escape their homes. The death toll has reached over 31 people due to residents drowning, getting trapped, and being hit by fallen trees. Many pets had to suffer these horrible conditions due to some emergency shelters not accepting them. Rescuers urged people to take their pets with them after finding dozens of whom were on the verge of death.

Florence grew weaker by the day. States located in the northeast were expected to receive heavy rain as a result of this storm. Emergency crews worked around the clock to help keep victims safe, but more assistance is always needed for the recovery process. The best way to help is by donating money to those who will return to their homes with nothing but bills to pay.

Those who want to help can also donate to charities, relief groups, and online organizations. The Red Cross is accepting both monetary donations and blood donations from all over the country to support those who are suffering. These donations will help cover the overwhelming costs of repairing, rebuilding, and reconnecting the families of the North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia will have to face.