The end of an icon

The saying “what goes up must come down” is usually a reference to gravity, but these days it can describe one of Bettendorf’s most beloved landmarks: The Lodge. The Bavarian-style hotel, with its iconic nine-story tower, was built in 1973 and for many years was a prestigious and prosperous business.

For the past few years, however, the establishment fell into extreme disrepair since its last renovation was in 1991. According to some of the hotel’s last guests, the place seemed tired and outdated. Some even found it creepy, deeming that its winding hallways and taxidermied animals were haunted. Although no one could deny the hotel surely had character, people found it to be an undesirable place to stay. The public craves modern, and this place was exactly the opposite. During its last few years in business, The Lodge slowly started seeing less traffic, the quality of its hospitality service declined, and guests were left unsatisfied. The end was beginning.

After its period of declining popularity, the famed hotel finally closed its doors voluntarily in August 2015. At this time, no one was sure what the fate of the hotel would be. Some believed the hotel was going through renovations and was to reopen again. Others encouraged the idea to convert the hotel into a modern DoubleTree by Hilton, but the plan fell through. After sitting vacant for more than a year, and after becoming a victim to various vandals, the hotel soon arrived to the point of no return; to the point where demolition is the only viable option.

Russell Construction, the new owner of the property, began demolishing the hotel on Sept.19. The company plans to redevelop the site, but as of now there are no plans set in stone for what type of businesses are going in.

Although the redevelopment of the site is an exciting new chapter for Bettendorf, it is undeniably sad to see such a beloved icon go.

“It was almost like a historical monument for Bettendorf,” said senior Courtney Chandler. “It was a part of our culture and the style of the building was so unique for our area. We’re losing history by tearing it down.”

“I’m severely disappointed in our community for taking down a historical monument,” agreed senior Maddie Johnson.

“My mom used to love staying there. It’s stupid that they’re tearing it down with no plans on what they are going to put there,” elaborated Chandler.

Although there are no set in stone plans, some circulating ideas are to either turn the property into apartments or to develop a stripmall type of retail atmosphere. However, some people disagree with plans to turn the property into another generic Bettendorf development.

“I’d like to see something educational go in that spot. Something artistically or musically enhancing; something like the family museum. Not another strip mall.” added Chandler.

As sad as it may be to see a beautiful building torn apart, unfortunately nothing can be done about it. Hopefully the new chapter for this prime piece of property will bring something that the community can once again enjoy together, whatever it may be.

$480
$1000