Apple Music vs. Spotify Premium: the largest controversy of 2018

For the past year, there has been a massive debate about what the better music app is. Both Spotify Premium (83 Million Subscribers) and Apple Music (50 Million subscribers) are extremely large bases for discovering and listening to music. Even though they are very similar, people still feud about which app gives more for its price. Both of these music bases have their pros and cons.

It is very hard to differentiate between Spotify Premium and Apple Music because they are so alike. For instance, they both have the same cost for individual ($9.99/month) and for college students ($4.99/month). They also both have no ads, the ability to download music and save data and give personal recommendations based on the user’s music taste and artists that they prefer. There are some distinctions between the two as well.

One main difference between the two apps are that Apple Music has radio shows and radio stations whereas Spotify Premium does not. Instead, Spotify has playlists created based on mood, taste and genre that get updated weekly (Apple music does this as well). It also has the perk where it includes Hulu (price raises to $12.99/month), which is a television website that includes old and new television shows. John Mendelin, an avid Spotify Premium user, stated, “I like that I’m able to bundle Spotify with Hulu and keep prices cheaper.” Having Hulu as an option to purchase with Spotify Premium has been one of the reasons why certain people like this app better.

Apple music does have some things that Spotify Premium doesn’t. Apple music includes, not only music, but also documentaries, concert films, music videos, and television shows. For example, Carpool Karaoke with James Corden can be viewed through Apple Music. It also allows its users to create their own profile (as does Spotify Premium) and follow their friends to see what they listen to. Ruth Davidson uses Apple Music frequently because “it shows me what my friends are listening to so I can find new music that way, and it’s more user friendly.” The ability to create and share playlists easily is a large motive as to why some people prefer Apple Music.

Because of all of the similarities, the argument about which app is better may never end. Either way, both music bases have their perks, and most people are always going to have one that they prefer based on how they like their music and playlists formatted