The best apple orchards around

It’s that time of year again. The time of year that is filled with bonfires, warm apple cider, and the most popular: apple orchard visits. Living in Iowa provides everyone and their families with fun outdoor activities to enjoy during any season. A local favorite is visiting the many apple orchards in the Quad Cities and surrounding areas. PV senior, Gracie Wilson, says, “I love going to any apple orchard. I’ve gone multiple years in a row, sometimes with family and sometimes with friends. Both are just as fun!” Apple orchards give people a fun activity to do while also giving them a reason to go outside and enjoy the beautiful fall weather.

A very popular orchard to visit among residents of the Quad Cities is Stone’s Apple Barn located in East Moline. Stone’s offers 55 varieties of apples in their store and public orchard. Their store also sells apple cider, pears, and honey which are all great fall foods to use in recipes. PV mom, Andrea Flores, says, “I enjoy baking with apples especially in the fall when apples are fresh!” Stone’s also offers some entertainment services such as feeding the farm animals they have, or enjoying a hayrack ride around the orchard. Stone’s is a great place to go for fun with friends and family to enjoy the spirit of Autumn.

With stunning views of the Mississippi River, Gravert’s Apple Basket Orchard is another great option for some fall fun. Gravert’s is located in Sabula, Iowa and grows 20 varieties of apples. Wilson mentioned, “Trying a bunch of different kinds of apples is my favorite part about going to apple orchards.” After picking apples, the General Store is a great place to pick up some apple cider, caramel apples, or apple pie to enjoy a fall treat. Gravert’s also encourages visitors to stop and say hi to their animals which include a goat, donkey, peacock, and chickens.

Here’s a recipe for Butterscotch Apple Crumble to kick off the start of fall:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
  • 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
  • 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 (3 5/8 ounce) package butterscotch pudding
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 cups cooking apples, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch
    • Heat oven to 375°F
    • Combine all ingredients except apples in large bowl.
    • Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
    • Combine apples and 1/2 cup crumb mixture in greased 2-quart round casserole.
    • Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are fork tender.