Making the most out of college visits

College visits can be very fun or very stressful, but one key to making it successful is paying attention to the most important things. College can be a hard transition since many students go from a room all to themselves to living in a small dorm room and sharing a bathroom with an entire floor of people. Believe it or not, the living situation is not the only part of college that matters. In fact, many college students spend more time out of their dorm room than in.

One important thing students should do when visiting a college campus is ask questions. Not all information is listed on the school’s website and it may not be explained on the campus tour. Some students, especially those who are seeking schools far away, may only get one visit to a specific school, which is why it is important to ask for any additional information while on the campus.

PVHS counselor, Scott Rice, suggests that students ask the question, “what is the university’s job placement rates from 6-12 months after graduation?” Asking this question allows one to know how soon they will be able to land a job after graduating. For some schools, it may be very quick, but it’s important to pay attention in case the job placement rate is low. Many people go to college to eventually land their dream job, but if the rates are low, the chances of getting that dream job might be too.

It’s also very important to ask current students about that college and what the student life is like. Getting multiple perspectives would be even better, but just a simple conversation with a current student would be enough. Current students probably know the most about that specific campus more than anyone else. They are the best source for class suggestions, residential requirements, and what life is like on campus. Talking to a student will allow one to know the campus better and will help make the decision of whether it’s a possible choice or not.

College visits are different for everyone because everyone has different priorities. The post-graduation rate may be the most important aspect for some but not for others. The best way to find out it by asking. If one knows what they are majoring in, checking out those specific buildings and halls would be a great way to get a feel of what environment they will be learning and working in.

Senior Olivia Staver recently committed to the University of Wyoming to continue her academic and swimming career. After visiting the campus and taking a tour, she commented on the feeling of the environment. “One of the biggest things I noticed was how people at the school interacted and how they in turn treated the people on the tour.” The friendly surroundings as well as the nursing program convinced Staver that the University of Wyoming would be a great future home.