The end of Brangelina…and other useless information we care about

Most high schoolers seem to invest their time into the drama around them. This is why news channels are so successful. They provide endless, in-depth drama about celebrities which everyone craves. People who care more about other peoples’ business tend to forget about the major world issues going on.

Some Pleasant Valley students confess to the addiction of drama in the celebrity world. A huge fan of many shows and movies, Ramya Kumar, junior, states, “The only time I invest my time into celebrity drama is if it affects the show or movie he or she is in. People such as Chris Evans or Patrick Dempsey are an example. The drama sometimes shows their characteristics as a person which is interesting.”

Recent gossip is consumed by the tragic split of superstars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. They were the powerhouse couple of Hollywood. Their messy divorce is now one of the most talked about issues in the world. “I’m afraid that no matter how much work she does for the United Nations and starving children–or whatever it is she does for the U.N., I don’t actually know–I will never stop thinking of Angelina Jolie as the one who broke up Brad and Jen. Even though that was ten years ago,” a reporter for E! News said of the impact of celebrity relationships.

But why do we care so much about one couple’s marriage?

The useless information of which we continue to feed off is somehow entertaining for some people. This outside drama gives others something to talk about. Famous news sources like E! and Cosmopolitan are headliners for their constant talk of drama which affects no one.

The ridiculous amount of talk about celebrities makes it interesting to see what life would be like without this extra information. And these headline divorces are not the only unnecessary things people care about; there are the famous zodiac signs, too.

Every week, myriads of sources flood ads and websites with updated zodiacs. Why is such a minuscule idea cared about so much? This apparently has to do with tradition. Someone found interest in studying the constellations and decided to put meanings behind them.

Life would be more efficient without the worries of other people’s problems. The only news we should show interest to are worldwide issues: poverty, war, and the environment. Too many people invest time in useless facts which will not affect them one way or another.

Unfortunately, celebrity drama and zodiac signs satisfy people more than world issues do. That is life…just like the world issues.