How to catch up after missing school

Whether it’s due to an emergency, illness, or a vacation, it’s hard for students to have perfect attendance at school. Catching up after missing school is never easy no matter the reason, but taking a deep breath, keeping a positive attitude, and having the following tips in mind will help you tremendously.

If your absence is planned, one of the most important things you can do is get as much done as you can before you leave. If you will be missing a test, depending where you are in the unit, it is in your best interest to take the test before you leave. If you will be missing lecture notes, download presentations and get note sheets from your teachers before you leave.

All in all, no matter what the assignment is in the class, it is absolutely crucial to communicate with your teachers before you leave. Senior Lilly Parker, who recently took three days off of school to visit Seattle, said, “It’s very helpful to talk with your teachers about what you will miss so that while you’re gone you can get caught up. But if you don’t talk with them and have them tell you what you will miss, then you will be even more behind when you come back.”

If your absence was not planned, it is still not impossible to communicate with your teachers about getting work done. If you are sick, email your teachers once you know you will be absent to ask them about what you will miss. Even if they don’t respond, taking that initiative shows that you are serious about catching up on work.

This will also give you the power to be realistic with your instructors about what you can get done when, instead of coming back to school and having them pile it all back on you. Shreya Khurjekar, another senior at Pleasant Valley High School, was once out for a whole week of school due to illness. “Talking to your teachers is very helpful. I mean the portal tells you what you’re missing but all the teachers have such different policies on when they want stuff turned in by,” she adds.

However, there are some things that are impossible to take care of before you leave. We are required to come to school each day for a reason, after all. That being said, it is imperative that you make a plan when you come back. Open up your eighth hours to making up labs, asking questions about missed content, and catching up on in-class activities. Write a schedule outside of your normal planner to have a calmer, more organized format to keep track.

Most importantly, take a deep breath and take care of yourself. Realize that you do not have to finish everything over the course of just a few days. Teachers will generally try to be as understanding as possible and are aware that this particular time period will be stressful for you. However, it is your job to take the initiative and get your work done efficiently.