Quad City schools bag hunger

The annual Quad Cities Student Hunger drive is off and running as local schools collect money and non-perishables for people in need. According to their website, “The Student Hunger Drive was founded in 1986 by Pete Pohlmann in Davenport, Iowa and has collected over 16.1 million pounds of food valued at over $31 million since its inception. The strong tradition of giving and working with teens is now shared with communities across the US.”

Pleasant Valley High School is 1 of 16 schools collecting for the Riverbend Foodbank. Keshav Wagle, junior, is one of two local high schoolers to be this year’s Student Hunger Drive student ambassadors. Wagle is very passionate about the Student Hunger Drive. Wagle commented, “We do the hunger drive to support the needy people in the quad cities. 1 out of 5 students don’t know if they will have food on the table when they get home. That is why we do this. These aren’t just adults, these are students, or your fellow classmates. So, when doing the hunger drive over the next few weeks, please think about the students who need it.”

The theme for this year’s Student Hunger Drive is ‘bag hunger.’ Although area schools are competing against one another for the title of Student Hunger Drive winner, they are encouraged to look at the bigger picture. Collecting for local people in need of food is what the Student Hunger Drive is all about. The Student Hunger Drive mission, as stated on their website, is, “To unite and empower area high school students in the commitment to feed the hungry and promote volunteerism.” Donations will be accepted by Pleasant Valley until Nov. 10. Although the Student Hunger Drive takes place for a little over a month, the local River Bend Foodbank accepts donations year round. Just because the Student Hunger Drive ends doesn’t mean hunger ends too.