The art of procrastination

Although teenagers in different high school institutions vary in almost every aspect, including interests, social standing, ethnicity, and regional attributions, there is one thing almost universally shared: procrastination. It is joked about during and after classes and even online, but why is this such a common theme among people in regards to work?

The definition of procrastination is doing various other and easier tasks than the one that is meant to be done. Many people may consider themselves lazy for putting off a task with various other ones; however laziness is different. Laziness is defined as an unwillingness to act; however, procrastination is simply choosing many tasks to complete to put another task off.

A shocking 20% of people are chronic procrastinators, but this is not the majority of people. Yet, it is inevitable to not procrastinate in some shape or form especially in regards to unappealing tasks.

Pleasant Valley High School student Shayan Pasha is aware that he procrastinates a lot. He said, “I procrastinate my work all the time. Typically I go on my phone while working or just watch Netflix if I am trying to avoid some work.”

Procrastination is not confined only to mutinous tasks; it can occur while doing seemingly enjoyable tasks, such as watching Netflix, like Pasha had mentioned.

Imagine looking at a TV screen to try to decide what to watch; although a person may tell themselves that they need to watch a highly acclaimed movie, they will first gravitate to a show or movie that requires less thinking. The brain has bias thinking that they will do a “smarter” action but in the end will settle for a similar activity; this is a form of procrastination.

If a person is choosing to use TV as a form of procrastination, they can still be procrastinating even in this activity. It is a cycle.

Yet, even when people are unaware of their procrastination, they are aware of the action at times. Another Pleasant Valley High School student Katie Oros said, “I believe people are susceptible to procrastination due to lack of motivation. Many people don’t find a great interest in school, so they put off their assignments until they absolutely have to.”

There are several different types of procrastinators; some are thrill-seekers who procrastinate tasks because they get a rush or may say that they work best under pressure. Another type procrastinates because of fear while others cannot make a decision.

Procrastination is a complicated topic; it has many different roots and causes and may even occur while one is unaware of their procrastination. No matter what the circumstances are, procrastination is overall different than laziness. Procrastination involves choice.