It’s just a conversation

The way our society communicates has changed drastically–our thoughts are put onto the screen in a gif or our expressions in an emoji. Face to face conversations are becoming more dull while text messages on phone screens shine brighter with each update.  

I don’t see the point behind our world communicating through technology instead of holding personal conversations.

More often than not if I look around in the PV cafeteria at all the circular tables full of kids, I see phone screens lit and mouths shut. A couple smiles pop up here and there but it most likely isn’t because of something someone said, it’s what someone sent.

“I think it makes texting fun,” said junior, Lindsey Wilken. She thinks a texting conversation without emojis makes it seem like the other person is mad or bored.

Gifs have become more popular since the Imessage update allowed for a button for Gifs to pop up right where the keyboard is suppose to be. It literally takes away the keyboard and replaces it with short silent videos that you can choose from. Conversations become less personal when you communicate with gifs that essentially require no thought.

The newest update for Iphones introduced a new way of “texting” for the Iphone X or newer. It’s the animoji, and it allows people to create a character and send a voice recording. The chosen animation moves its mouth and head just as you did while creating the message. Tons of anomjis are already created and available like a dinosaur, unicorn, lion or chicken. It is also possible to create your own as well. It is not clear what spiked Apple’s new animoji idea, but they created a whole new way of talking.

The more our society uses these advanced technological ideas, the less people talk out loud.

Cell phone companies have made communicating through phones fun for young people and older people. People say that all the opportunities to make a text conversation better actually allows them to speak their mind more clearly.They actually feel that they can better express themselves through these digital tools than through old-fashioned English,” said Time Magazine.

That worries me. How can one speak and express themselves better through a tiny screen? Sure, you can send an eye rolling or laughing emoji, but actually being able to physically roll your eyes and laugh out loud is the best way to express yourself.

Wilken stated, “I’d rather talk and have conversations. But if I have no choice but to text someone, I appreciate the option to send emojis and gifs.”