Hurricane Michael Update

Hurricane Michael Update
By National Weather Service (Weather Forecast Office Mobile/Pensacola) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Category four Hurricane Michael is now ranked the third-most intense Atlantic hurricane to hit in the United States and the strongest storm recorded in the Florida Panhandle.

The hurricane hit on October 7, 2018 and dissipated nine days later. In those nine days, wind speeds of 155 miles per hour killed thirty six people and destroyed homes, businesses, streets. Locals are still in distress and are heartbroken over the overwhelming changes they’ve had to endure.

People from all over are coming to help these people recover. Inmates from the Florida Walton County Jail stepped in to help clear up the streets. Previewing the impact of Hurricane Michael, some inmates of the county jail recently graduated from a heavy lifting class. “They volunteered to help their community following the storm because they’ve participated in programs to learn to use heavy equipment while incarcerated at the jail,” according to a Florida Sheriff’s Office tweet on Oct 11, 2018.

Residents are using “comfort stations” to rest and eat whatever they can. Shower stations have also been set up around cities. 130 crew members are still making efforts to clean up the streets. Businesses in the area are starting to re-open such as Target and Walmart and food places are also beginning to serve locals again such as McDonalds and Whataburger. 

They volunteered to help their community following the storm because they’ve participated in programs to learn to use heavy equipment while incarcerated at the jail.

— Florida Sheriff's Office

Along with all of the hopeful and positive recovery, families are still devastated by their losses. The hurricane swept away loved ones, destroyed homes, and postponed jobs, but the families are trying to make the best out of what they have. “I am totally shocked what this has done to our entire town,” Miami Beach Mayor Al Cathey told CBS News on Friday. Cathey has lived in Mexico Beach for 65 years. Now, “he barely recognizes his hometown.”

The Red Cross has set up a personal website named, “Hurricane Michael Relief” where you can donate whatever amount you wish to help the recovery process for the poor people affected better one step at a time. Students at Pleasant Valley could help by donating whatever amount possible to help the smallest bit and change the lives of people on the east coast. Having people from all over help the slightest bit, no matter if they were affected or not, shows how this world can come together to help a cause so devastating as this hurricane.