One way students can be involved in the government

In today’s political climate, it is stressed more than ever to advocate for what you believe in. A legitimate and effective organization that allows high school students to have a voice is Iowa Youth Congress.

Each year, the Iowa Youth Congress receives applications from students statewide, regions are then organized based on geographical location. Each region has a few meetings during the summer where discussion is opened regarding position statements (bills) that will be drafted to the rest of the regions at IYC’s fall event: Mock Congress.

This years Mock Congress was just this past Monday. They begin in small groups in different conference rooms where they decide on how each bill will be presented in a manner that will be most persuasive to other representatives.

After lunch, Mock Congress is in session. Representatives sit in the House Chamber at the Iowa State Capitol where they are given the opportunity to simulate a representative of the Iowa State government. Debate is opened on each bill, in which representatives are allowed to make comments or ask questions to the bill’s author. Discussion continues until the Speaker of the House signals for the writer to make closing remarks on their bill, where representatives are then given the opportunity to vote. If the bill receives a constitutional majority, it passes. If it does not, the bill dies.

While the event is a Mock Congress, the bills passed are actually very important. They are taken to the Day on the Hill event in January, where IYC presents their passed position statements to Iowa’s legislature. Here, IYC representatives try to get sponsorships for their positions in order for them to have a chance to be brought to the state’s legislature. The bill reaching to the stage legislature creates potential for it to be passed and signed into Iowa law.

Rishab Verma, senior and four-year IYC member says “IYC has not only brought my attention to issues that face youth in my area, but I’ve also learned about issues that affect different groups of people from all around Iowa.” This unique way of students educating themselves on topics has an everlasting effect. “One of the most powerful parts of IYC is that fact that saying that a bill has the backing of the entire youth Congress puts pressure on politicians to act,” Verma adds.

In addition to helping students retain valuable communication skills and become informed on policy, IYC is a great way to get to know the Iowa state government on a personal level. Former PV student and IYC member Abby Davison says, “I feel that being a part of this organization allowed me to gain a better understanding of the political process, improve my communication and leadership skills, and most importantly, get to know my legislators.”

IYC takes new applications every June for new members. The application is online and is open to every student across Iowa. If you want to make a difference in Iowa’s laws, consider joining next summer!