Helping hands

Helping+hands
By Sterling Communications from USA (we’re in full swing) [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

With the holiday season approaching, festive cheer can be seen all around. This is the season of giving and with the Student Hunger Drive coming to a close, it’s important to remember what really matters this holiday season.

Just like every year, Pleasant Valley has competed against other schools in the area to collect the most cans for the local food banks. Although the totals have not yet come in, the efforts given thus far have proven to be beneficial for local food banks. The need for aid all over the community is ongoing.

Social studies teacher Jeff Meyers worked with an anonymous student who has lived in poverty to write an editorial about the lifestyle. Myers believes that student involvement is an important part of becoming aware of one’s surroundings. He says, “I think the more our students encounter those unlike themselves, they will find their hearts ‘strangely warmed.’”

I think the more our students encounter those unlike themselves, they will find their hearts ‘strangely warmed.’

— Jeff Meyers

There are many ways citizens of all ages can get involved in the area to help out. Shelters such as King’s Harvest Ministry in Downtown Davenport, Salvation Army in Davenport, Christian Care in Rock Island, and so many more care for the homeless community in our area. One way students can give back to their community is by going and volunteering at these shelters serving food or organizing clothing.

PVHS senior Noah Streeter has volunteered numerous times at the Bettendorf Food Pantry. Through his experiences at the food bank, he has learned many things. “Working at the food bank was really humbling for me. It made me realize that even though people can seem fine, they may be really struggling financially. It’s not always hard to help people, but when you do, it makes a big impact on their lives.”

Students can also learn so much more from meeting and working with individuals who may not be as fortunate as the students. Being able to work with a wider variety of people can enhance one’s empathy and understanding of the world in general. It is important to understand that those being served are just like everyone else despite the food deficit.

Financial help and physical labor is always needed, and as the season of giving approaches it is important to keep in mind what is truly important. It’s not the pumpkin pie, the ‘friendsgiving’ parties, or even hanging out with family. It is being selfless and as said by Anne Frank, “No one has ever become poor by giving.” It can only be beneficial to help out where one is able.