Spartans chopped up the competition

Pleasant Valley’s participation in the student hunger drive this year was a success. The River Bend Foodbank offers the opportunity to help those in our community who are food insecure by engaging districts to compete in the collection of canned goods and money. Just like last year, Pleasant Valley came out on top.

The weigh in and load up day happened Thursday and all of the items were delivered to the River Bend Food Bank. This year, the Pleasant Valley School District gathered 57,859 pounds of food. That provides roughly 125,000 meals for our community.

Between all the Districts, overall PV won the competition since they collected the most amount of food per student– 40.2 pounds.

Pleasant Valley has been trying to gear their students in collecting more foods that are actually tasty and full of the necessities one may need, instead of just trying to collect cans for pounds. The need for donations never end, just because the student hunger drive has. The River Bend Foodbank has a list of a couple items that are in more demand and are taking donations year round.

The River Bend Foodbank said, “If you have food in your home that you are not going to eat or has “expired,” please consider donating it to River Bend rather than throwing it away.” Constantly they are working in ending food insecurity and just because the student hunger drive has ended, the Foodbank is always collecting.

Obviously winning is great, but I think what hit us this year was the number of meals we were able to provide because of all the food we collected. Additionally, the kids feel we really did a great job this year of providing good/nutritional food

— Barb Pischke

Barb Pischke played a big role in the student hunger drive this year by assisting and helping out with the cooperation of students. “Obviously winning is great, but I think what hit us this year was the number of meals we were able to provide because of all the food we collected. Additionally, the kids feel we really did a great job this year of providing good/nutritional food.” Stated Pischke.

The school promised Chick-Fil-A would be served for lunch one day if the students reached their goal of 60,000 pounds. Being only 2,141 pounds short, the school said they would still serve Chick-Fil-A because the students worked so hard. The number of pounds Pleasant Valley collected helped so many of those struggling for food in our community.

At the high school, Spartan Assembly put together the “Chopped” theme for this year’s Student Hunger Drive. Throughout the drive, students donated cans and money to the teacher they wanted to win. Last year, Maureen Dyer won and received the golden can trophy— the trophy that is awarded to the teacher who collected the most cans. The Golden Can won’t be moving this year since, again Dyer has won the competition amongst the teachers.   

$480
$1000