Political power for women

Further+information+of+migrant+conditions+can+be+found+in+magazines%2C+books%2C+and+online.+
Photo credit to Caroline Christophersen
Further information of migrant conditions can be found in magazines, books, and online.

History has been made in the Midterm election regarding women in a variety of positions of power. Hundreds of females were elected to top-tier positions, breaking records with their high numbers.

2018’s Midterm elections called for a change mainly by the liberal side of politics. Women, some with liberal-based ideas, but others undeniably Republican, answered the call and took the election by storm. Many came out victorious with noteworthy positions in Congress and as governors.

The House of Representatives especially stood out with  90 members to be seated in Washington D.C. The women vary in age, race, and opinion, and will contribute much needed diversity to Congress. Though the female candidates are supportive of women’s rights, their campaigns were not focused on their femininity, instead, they successfully countered their opponents views and won the majority due to their policies.

In the midst of these women are Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib who are historically the first Muslim women to be elected. Tennessee’s new Senator Marsha Blackburn will serve as the state’s first female in this position along with Kristi Noem, who will join her in history as South Dakota’s first female governor. Junior Carly Lundry paid close attention to these results. She said, “It is wonderful to see more diverse representation.”

It is wonderful to see more diverse representation

— Carly Lundry

Women have been looking for further representation since they began to run for government positions in the late 1800’s and even more so when they were allowed to vote granted by the 19 Amendment in 1920. Throughout recent times, women have slowly become more represented in politics as well as other fields such as STEM, business, and leadership positions. Women from every generation are focusing on encouraging young girls to pursue these careers.

Senior Sophia Dahm followed the election and its results. She noticed the growth of female representation, but did not notice a change in society as a result. “From the last Midterms to today, I cannot recognize much difference. So in fact, I’m excited that our country doesn’t care if the politician is a man or a woman, because it doesn’t matter either way and neither gender should be glorified for doing their job.”, Dahm stated.

Dahm recognized the obvious and drastic changes in society’s views of a woman’s role and stated that, while the shift is exciting, she believes the change should not be overcorrected, causing men to eventually suffer discrimination. She was glad to see an insignificant change after the women found success. “If they’re not glorified, that means they are truly equal,” she said.