Cute controversy

To most people, dogs are just dogs. Some are big, some are small; some are black, some are brown. Some are referred to as labrador retrievers, some are referred to as pitbullsThe latter of these two dog breeds has unfortunately been through a rough past. Through terrible people forcing these dogs to fight each other, inevitably rendering them to be aggressive, these puppies have gained a terrible reputation, and it’s not their fault.

Last week lawmakers in Montreal, Canada, one of the country’s largest cities, made the decision to ban pitbulls (or any dog that resembles one) throughout the entire largely-populated city. Any pitbull in a Montreal shelter was immediately deemed unadoptable, meaning that these shelter dogs most likely will face euthanization. City inhabitants who already own a pitbull are now required to pay a fee in order to register for a permit to legally own the dog breed. Under this permit are strict requirements, including that the dog must be sterilized, muzzled, and kept on a four foot leash at all times. Pitbull owners must also go through a criminal background check.

The lawmakers’ motives for this ban were based upon a June fatal dog attack that happened in one of the city’s suburbs. The family of the victim pushed for harsh regulations against the dogs, and the lawmakers listened. The problem is, however, harmless dog owners and innocent animal lives are being punished for the actions of one dog, which actually may have not even been a pitbull. Police are still waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm the attack dog’s breed. Many Canadian animal welfare organizations, as well as ones from the U.S., have protested the ban which prompted lawmakers to temporarily put the legislation on hold. However, the law is still believed to go into place sometime in the near future.

Although this legislation is far from hitting home, the issue of whether pitbulls are dangerous or not is surely something that has been stirring controversy everywhere. It’s not uncommon for apartment complexes to allow dogs, but not pitbulls. The same even goes for some dog parks. The circumstances and stigma raise a question: should people have these dogs if they are deemed so dangerous?

“Although I am personally not a fan, people should be allowed to have these dogs,” says senior Courtney Chandler. “Owners should know the behavior and actions of their pets. They should know their pets well enough to prevent incidents from happening.”

“Pitbulls have a lot better temperament than most people believe,” adds senior Maddux Snook, after mentioning that he has worked with them at an animal shelter he volunteered at.

So why are so many people afraid of these dogs? Is it because they do attack people more?

In a study done between 2005 and 2015, pitbulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of all fatal dog attacks. However, does this mean that every pitbull is dangerous?

“The incident [in Montreal] seems like an individual dog problem, not an entire breed issue,” comments Chandler.

“To be honest [the controversy] is probably because they look menacing. Or when they do attack people, it’s bad, but other dogs attack people too.” adds Snook.

In the end, it should be a person’s choice as to whether they want to own a pitbull or not. The owner should, as with any dog, be responsible and know the dog’s limits, such as places it shouldn’t be and people it can’t be around. To put a city-wide ban on an animal is only going to infringe on people’s rights, and citizens will be angry. When it comes to dogs, to each his own, but responsibly and with courtesy of others.

$480
$1000