PV history teachers seek higher-ed

Russell, Meyers working towards master’s degrees

This year, two Pleasant Valley teachers have instructors of their own.

History teachers Jeff Meyers and Sara Russell are both enrolled in postgraduate studies while continuing to teach full-time. Meyers, who teaches Western Civilization, Modern US History, and Modern World History, is pursuing a master’s degree in History. Meyers already has a bachelor’s degree in History and a master’s degree in Teaching and Learning, the latter of which he also obtained while teaching full-time.

The longtime Pleasant Valley teacher said being a teacher and student at the same time can be a lot of work, “Getting a second master’s while still teaching full-time is certainly difficult.” Meyers is taking classes at Western Illinois University in Macomb, which have given him and his students a new opportunity this semester, “Because of the classes I’m taking for my master’s degree, I’m able to teach Western Civilization I, a Scott Community College class, this semester.”

Sara Russell, who teaches American Government and Modern US History, is getting her master’s degree in Education and Interdisciplinary Studies, also from Western Illinois University. “Unlike Mr. Meyers, I get to take classes here in the Quad Cities at the new WIU campus in Moline.” Russell is currently working on her thesis paper on multicultural government education. “I’ve already been able to incorporate many of the things I’ve learned into my teaching.”

In the spring Russell will teach AP US Government and Politics, where she’ll delve deep into the intricacies of government and policy with her students in preparation for the AP exam in May. Russell said that being a student and teacher is challenging for her too, “Most of the other students in my classes at Western Illinois don’t have full-time jobs.” Russell too has a bachelor’s degree in History which she obtained from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin.

$580
$1000