The new windows introduce new benefits

Caroline Carlson
The student commons area provides much needed natural lighting.

Many students love the new editions in the school especially the new tower and the commons. The new additions have brought more light into the school just by putting more windows in. In the front of the school, the entire wall is glass allowing a lot of natural light into the commons. Just the small things like this can motivate students to learn and can affect the way students pay attention in class.

In the commons, all the students receive natural light as they do their homework in study hall. Abby Haessler, current junior, said “I feel like I get a lot done in study hall because with all the windows I don’t feel trapped in a room being forced to get my work done. It brings a lot of freedom and motivates me to get things done.”

Studies show that natural light works best to improve behavior, create less anxiety and stress, and improve overall health.  When being in a classroom with no windows, the fluorescent light reflects off the surface of the school assignment into the students eyes.  This then interferes with the ability of the student to read their paper, causing a negative effect in their academic performance. In addition, classrooms that do have natural light have 25% higher test scores then those without it.

Another part of the school that the students really enjoy is the staircase in the new tower. This staircase is completely glass which is why students love it so much. Brady Meenan, current junior, stated “I would never think one of my favorite parts about the new addition would be the staircase. It has the most natural light and is refreshing because it wakes me up compared to all the other parts of the school.”

A lot of the newer schools that have been built within the last few years do contain a lot of windows. The older schools have little to no windows, so many people wonder why because natural light is supposed to improve work ethic in students. During the 1970’s school architects scaled down on windows because it would distract students and would prevent them from doing their work. It actually did just the opposite. Students in classes with no natural light became bored in class and felt unmotivated. This would then lead them to not complete their work. In the classrooms with natural light, students become significantly more focused and less distracted from their work.

“My favorite class is English and my least favorite is math. Although, my math class has a window and I feel like I am more focused in that class because of the natural light that comes in and motivates me to work. Whereas my English class has no windows and I find it harder to get things done,” said Haessler. With the new tower up and running there is multiple windows in each of the new classrooms and even in the new gym. This can motivate students to get things done and encourage schools to put more windows throughout their buildings.

$480
$1000