Japanese culture and why it should be implemented in the United States

Japanese culture is drastically different than the culture in America. Japanese culture contains many qualities that American culture lacks, and Americans need to implement these aspects into their lives.

While American culture has its own unique qualities, the Japanese culture relies heavily on the  principles of respect, honor, mentorship, and the betterment of their people as a whole. These principles are lacking within American culture and need to be applied.

American culture lacks the respect that Japanese culture possesses because of downright arrogance. In Japan, all people are taught to respect their elders, strangers, and to always maintain humility. In America, many people lack these respective qualities which has led to a big part of American society thriving off of bringing other individuals down.

Mitchell Strobbe, junior, said “I think that the Japanese culture of respect towards elders and fellow peers has greatly improved all aspects of life over there. We need to implement this into our culture for a better and more productive atmosphere.”

This continued degradation of moral principle in American society is most notably displayed by children and teenagers because of generation upon generation of bad parenting. American children have and continue to be grown up with loose enforcement of discipline and etiquette. As a result, numerous American children tend to be rude, arrogant, and even violent toward one another.

A lot of kids around my age group can do or say really insensitive at times. This is completely unacceptable and doesn’t properly reflect American culture. We should be better than this.

— Ela Ersan

Ela Ersan, a freshmen, said,  “A lot of kids around my age group can do or say really insensitive at times. This is completely unacceptable and doesn’t properly reflect American culture. We should be better than this.”

There are currently 53,000 juveniles being held prisons across the United States while Japan has 51,805 prisoners in total. This statistic says a lot about the Japanese culture and how they pride themselves on honor and a life away from crime. In fact, Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world with only three robberies per 100,000 people. This is substantially lower than the United States national crime rate.

Gabe Johnson, sophomore, said, “It is amazing how the crime rate in Japan is so low. I believe this is a result of great moral code values these people had growing up. Personally, I don’t think parents teach their kids these types of things as well as they should.”

All in all, Japanese culture allows its people to bond closer together than most other nations. This strong, unbreakable moral code of unity allows the nation of Japan to be one of the most productive, capable, and respectable countries in the world.