The things we take for granted

PV collects coats for local kids in need

As fall progresses, the temperature starts to go down, as well as the number of people wearing shorts and t-shirts. The summery clothes are put into bins and stored away for the blistery, Iowa winter. The warm sweaters and comfy clothes are brought out with anticipation for the cold weather. Although you rarely see many people not wearing winter gear during the cold months of the year, some may have no choice. Not everyone is able to afford winter gear that can keep them warm during cold weather. Coats and hats are something people take for granted. Pleasant Valley High School is doing something to help those who don’t have the gear to stay warm this upcoming winter.

The annual Coats for Kids collection is being held by the Pleasant Valley National Honor Society. Ike Sears, senior, is co-president of the National Honor Society at Pleasant Valley. Sears emphasizes, “At PV, many of us live in a sort of bubble. While we usually understand that there are big problems in the world, we rarely know them personally. It still shocks me that people–people in China, people in Chicago, people in Davenport–lack so many basic human necessities, an adequate coat being one of them. What Coats for Kids is doing, is allowing PV to put a dent in one of these big problems. National Honors Society is accepting coats or money for our fundraiser, and are using these donations to give kids a chance to stay warm this winter.” Sara Russell, teacher, is the National Honor Society Advisor at Pleasant Valley. Russell encourages students to bring donations to the boxes in her room or the main office. Russell’s room number is 263, located in the history wing of the high school.

Sears also mentions, “I understand that charities often don’t seem effective or important. We all have a lot of motivation not to donate to a cause, especially when we don’t know it personally. Keep this in mind, however: there are real kids in the Quad Cities who will have to endure the freezing winter without a proper coat. Even the smallest donation will help solve this problem. We, at National Honor Society, ask you to donate anywhere that collection boxes are found. So far, we have been set up at many school events. Find Mrs. Russell or a National Honor Society member to see how you can help.”

Those who have gently used coats, hats, or gloves are encouraged to consider donating to the Coats for Kids collection that is occurring throughout the month of October. Many students at Pleasant Valley don’t have to worry about how cold it will be standing at the bus stop or walking into school. Most students have warm coats, hats, and mittens to wear all winter, but not everyone is so lucky. Donations are encouraged in order to help the people in need fight the cold, harsh winter.