New Seal of Bi-literacy for students

+The+new+Seal+of+Biliteracy+that+students+will+receive+on+their+transcripts+if+they+are+proficient+in+two+or+more+world+languages
Photo credit to pleasval.org
The new Seal of Biliteracy that students will receive on their transcripts if they are proficient in two or more world languages

The Iowa Department of Education recently announced that beginning with the class of 2019, students will be able to test to receive a Iowa Seal of Bi-literacy. The seal will recognize students who are proficient in two or more world languages.

The Seal of Bi-literacy recognizes and values world languages as an asset because knowing how to speak more than one world language is critical skill for the 21st century. Since it is the first year of the program, it is only available to juniors and seniors.

Students who can show their proficiency in a second language will receive a seal on their transcripts. The seal focuses on demonstrating proficiency, not on how many courses of the language one has completed.

To show proficiency in English, students must have received a English score of 18 or higher on the ACT, received a score of 3 or more on the AP English Language or Literature test, or received a 4 or 5 in all domains on the ELPA21 test.

The seal will look good on a student’s transcript, and will show colleges and potential employers that a student is bi-literate.

— Kathryn Buchter

To show proficiency in other world languages, like French or Spanish, students must pass a two hour test, administered by Pleasant Valley. The test will include reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections, each 30 minutes long.

Kathryn Butcher, a Spanish teacher, stated, “I encourage all students who are eligible to sign up for this test, even seniors. There are many benefits to taking it.” She continues by saying, “The seal will look good on a student’s transcript, and will show colleges and potential employers that a student is bi-literate. This is a great skill to have in this day-and-age.”

The test will be held in February on multiple dates. More details will be released in January. The test will cost $20, which the student is responsible for paying.  

Delaney Evans, Spanish four student said, “I will take this new test. There is no reason not to. I am glad that there is a something new that will acknowledge the work that language students have put in.”

The deadline to sign up to take the test is Jan. 15, so to learn more information about the seal and to sign up to take the test, visit this link. If you have questions, talk to your world language teacher or Stephanie Risius.