Literal “goals”

How to reach your fitness goals this season

How many times do you think to yourself, “I really need to work out today…but I will just do it tomorrow.” Only later do you come to realize “tomorrow” was yesterday. This is a very common mindset, and that is okay. However, this mindset can and should be changed. Do not stress out; there are several teens in the same boat as you. There are more than enough ways to get you motivated and stay fit in the colder months to come. Just remember, one workout a day can be equivalent to a LIFE full of feeling your best.

Just to further inform you of how beneficial exercise truly is, here are some statistics that might inspire you to get moving:

• Combats heart disease and stabilizes blood pressure
  • Manages weight
  • Improved mood (body releases endorphins – a chemical meant to increase energy and happiness) – Mayo Clinic staff informs us, “Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed.”
  • Better sleep cycle – Mayo Clinic also states, “Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep.”
  • Improved self esteem and confidence
  • Greater desire to improve diet – Maddie Flinn, 2016 graduate, explains her perspective on eating right, “I want to eat well to make all the time spent in the gym worth it and see improvements. Your body needs balance and the right nutrients. Moderation is a must.”

As mentioned, feeling your best is an essential part of life. Feeling confident comes from hard work, and being fit requires this quality. Before you decide to go run 10 miles tonight only to flop on the couch for the rest of the week, make sure you know that hard work goes hand and hand with consistency. Thinking about your capabilities and what you consider realistic is a great way to stay consistent. Concerning your thoughts and mindsets, you can NOT go into the gym with the purpose of one day “being skinny.” Although that can be a factor that plays into your goals, you must go into the gym telling yourself you are there to feel your best and strive to be your best. The most challenging part of incorporating physical exercise into your life is simply starting the journey. This is why hard work, consistency, and a realistic mindset are so important to even begin the process.

Tip #1: Plan ahead, write to-do lists, set goals. Writing down your workouts for the week is proven to improve your fitness level more than if you were not to write it down. This will help you stay on track and force you to do the workout, even if it seems like such a pain. I promise you won’t think it was a pain after you’re done. You will feel amazing; know that you accomplished your goal for the day, and that itself is worth feeling good about.

Tip #2: Get inspired. In regards to planning your workout, you may be wondering how to even come up with one. However, with social media and the resources available, there are several places to find quality workouts most suited for your fitness needs. Youtube has an abundance of tutorials on any kind of workout you can think of, whether it be yoga, an ab workout, cardio, and more. Many times these workouts can be done right inside your home, which is super convenient during the chilly Iowa months. Also check out Pinterest, fitness accounts, and your smartphone for workout apps.

Tip #3: Take days off! Don’t assume you have to work out for hours every day and night just to be in shape. Start off easy, and gradually work your way up. You will know what your body can handle; you just have to listen to it. So take a day or two off and enjoy some relaxation. This is just as important as the workout itself.

Tip #4: Find a buddy. Exercising with someone else who has the same goals and aspirations makes all the difference in the world. Workouts go by faster, they are made more fun, and you have someone to push you along the way. Workout buddies create exercising into something you want to do, not something you have to do.

Just remember, one workout a day can lead to a life-long supply of feeling your best and no regrets. Now get to it!