Recognition for non-school sponsored sports

Brenna Morley competing at US Rowing club nationals this summer in Camden, New Jersey

Photo credit to Julie Lyda

Photo credit to Julie Lyda

Photo credit to Julie Lyda

Brenna Morley, Copy Editor

There are many benefits to participating in a sport in high school. However, not all sports are created equal. Students who participate in a sport that is not school sponsored have to deal with many downsides.

Many high schools, including PV, do not have sports like dance, rowing, hockey, or snowboarding in their sponsored sports. Schools cannot sponsor these sports for reasons such as lack of facilities or lack of participation. Therefore, students must go out into their community and participate in a club for that sport.

These athletes turn to clubs and teams like Y Quad Cities Rowing, Above the Barre dance academy, Snowstar ski team, or Quad City Ice Eagles hockey team. These non-school sponsored teams often come with a large fee, something that most school-sponsored sports do not have to deal with.

Athletes in these sports work just as hard but receive very little recognition for their sport. Rarely are these sports covered by the local media, or recognized by the school for their involvement and achievements.

Delaney Evans, junior rower, stated some cons. “It is frustrating how rowers like myself can go win a national championship but receive no recognition from the school, yet we can have an entire pep assembly for a football team that has not done well in recent years.”

“Many people who I talk to do not know what rowing is, let alone that there is rowing in the Quad Cities.”

However, Evans acknowledges that PV has become better at recognizing the success of non-school sports. “I think that increased participation in rowing at PV has increased knowledge and acknowledgment for the sport.”

Morgan McCartney, junior dancer, commented on her commitment outside of school. “Even though I can participate in PV Platinum, I still must dance outside of school at Above the Barre year round. I spend hours at the dance studio, working to better my technique and skills.”  

Last year at the spring signing ceremony, two rowers and a male beach volleyball player were in attendance. Athletes for non-traditional sports are transitioning to a collegiate level of playing.

“Most of my friends come from my sport, so I miss out on making more friends from PV,” said Evans. “However, I get to meet people from other schools in the Quad Cities, which I would not get to do if I participated in only a PV sport.”