An inside look on the leaders of Spartan Assembly

The Spartan Assembly executive team (from left) Senior Susan Anil, Senior Angela Pandit, Senior Lily Williams, Senior Natalie Murphy, and Junior Aabha Joshi pose together after a Student Council conference. Their hard work and dedication can be seen throughout the community all year round

Photo credit to Callahan Morton

Photo credit to Callahan Morton

Photo credit to Callahan Morton

Divya Vashisht, Opinion Editor

Spartan Assembly is led by a group of strong, dedicated leaders who work together to not only  advance our school, but the whole community. Seniors Angela Pandit, Lily Williams, Susan Anil, Natalie Murphy and junior Aabha Joshi are the executive members of Pleasant Valley student council this year.

As the executive members, these students have many responsibilities that take a lot of time and effort. Almost every event hosted by the student council is planned and organized by these executives along with their advisors Barb Pischke and Zach Miller.

In the fall, Spartan Assembly hosts the annual Student Hunger Drive at Pleasant Valley High School. The executives’ jobs are to fundraise money, organize community events such as restaurant fundraisers, and arrange schools events such as Powderpuff and Reverse Powderpuff.

In addition, the executives are also in charge of working with the elementary schools and the junior high to help them plan their themes and events for their own Student Hunger Drive. They also make sure each school has the right equipment for boxing cans and transport the boxes from the schools to the Riverbend Food Bank.

The Student Hunger Drive is one of Joshi’s favorite times of the year. “It’s amazing to see the whole student body coming together to make a difference in our community.”

Spartan Assembly is also in charge of the Blood Drive which is held numerous times throughout the year. The executives are responsible for organizing the drive. Moreover, the executives, alongside Spartan Assembly members, are in charge of getting their peers to sign up to donate blood.

Pandit is fond of the Blood Drive in particular because of how she is able to directly save lives through this event. “During this part of the year, the executives and I enjoy helping our community through the blood drives. It is such an easy way to help save lives and give back to others in need in the Mississippi Valley area.”

Additionally, the executives have the responsibility of making sure Spartan Assembly meetings run smoothly, planning the agendas prior to meeting, and organizing elections for student representative positions.

The Spartan Assembly executive team has many responsibilities that directly advance our school and community. Not only do they help others to grow into strong leaders, but they always strive to improve themselves.