Sealing the deal with the biliteracy exam

Senior Caroline Christophersen studying for the exam.

Starting this year, Pleasant Valley students have the chance to receive recognition for being proficient in two or more languages by taking the Seal of Biliteracy test. This test is open to juniors and seniors at Pleasant Valley High School.

Juniors and seniors who qualify for the exam must either have an ACT English score of 18 or higher, an AP English Language or Literature score of three or higher, or an ELPA score of four or five. The testing consists of four parts: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

Senior Caroline Christophersen is planning on taking the test for French. She believes taking the test, “will be beneficial when looking for jobs in the future.”

Christophersen has been studying French for five years and also had the opportunity to study abroad in Toulouse, France during her junior year; during this time, she became more acclimated to the language. She believes the exam is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate her knowledge in French.

While Christophersen is studying independently for the exam, senior Abby Roth, who is taking the exam for Spanish, is receiving help from her Spanish teacher, Stephanie Risius.

“In Spanish, Señorita is helping us prepare for it and she has a couple informational days coming up,” Roth said.  During these times, Roth has been able to take practice tests similar to the one she will be taking later this month. Roth, a Spanish student of five years, is currently taking AP Spanish.

However, not all students are taking the test to qualify. If a student passes the AP exam (of the foreign language they take) with a three or above and meet the English requirements, they would also be able to obtain the Seal of Biliteracy.

Nikki Chang, a senior, will automatically receive the Seal without taking the exam. Chang received an English ACT score that was above 18, and she passed the AP Spanish exam last year with a five. “I have been taking Spanish since eighth grade, but I’ve been fluent since I was young, so I’m glad I am getting recognized for this,” she said.

The exam will take place at the end of February. Students who pass the exam will be recognized in the spring with a certificate at Academic Award Night. In addition, they will also receive the Seal of Biliteracy on their transcripts.

$480
$1000