Black History Month at Pleasant Valley

Black History Month at Pleasant Valley

Mariah Martinez, a senior at PV, who plays an active part of the Love Girls Magazine.

Trinity Malmen, Staff Contributor

The first of February marks the beginning of Black History Month in the United States, a month to remember and recognize people who have made a difference in the black community.  

Pleasant Valley High School prides itself on being inclusive and welcoming of all minority groups. This month serves as a great example regarding the recognition of incredible students at PV and their amazing accomplishments.

Mariah Martinez, a senior at PV who identifies as African American and Mexican, is an example of someone who has achieved many accomplishments. She is a contributor to the Love Girls Magazine, which was started by a young black woman named Jasmine.

In the future, Mariah hopes to become a teacher. “I want to be a role model, somebody that you can go to if you feel that you need a hug or somebody that says ‘I have your back’. That is what I want to be.”

While demonstrating black excellence, Mariah also speaks on the current, important issues the black community faces such as #BlackLivesMatter. “I believe that Black Lives Matter is a step, saying that we are not your free labor, your shooting targets. Instead, we are real people with real minds, and we come out with amazing things that help the current environment today.”

This month is important in recognizing those who struggled with adversity in achieving full citizenship rights, and those today who fight and demand equality. This month honors the contributions of African Americans to the United States’ history.

Despite the level of importance of Black History Month, the current classes being held in Pleasant Valley High School do not touch on this subject. Maureen Dyer, an English teacher at PV, responded on whether the courses at PV teach about Black History Month. “No, neither classes nor the school as a whole fully acknowledges Black History Month,” she said.

February 1st to February 28th marks Black History Month, a period which celebrates the remembrance of both important people and events in African American history.  Pleasant Valley High School is proud to recognize its students of color who have achieved many wondrous things.