Scandal strikes once again: Trump struggling to recover

A lot of scandal has surrounded the presidential candidates over the past months, and with the election just around the corner, the presidential candidates are doing their best to try and clear their name. The latest scandal, however, has shaken the Trump campaign and outraged the public.

An audio tape of a conversation between Donald Trump and Billy Bush in 2005, who was then a host for Access Hollywood, was leaked. It consisted of Trump making vulgar and demeaning remarks towards women. Trump talked about kissing, grabbing, and picking up women, adding that his star status further helped him get women, saying things like “when you’re a star, they let you do it,” and “you can do anything.” Trump specifically talked about one occasion where he tried to seduce a married woman, saying “I moved on her very heavily,” and “I moved on her like a b***h but couldn’t get there. And she was married.” Trump also talked specifically about kissing women, saying, “you know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful women — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.”

As a result of the tapes, many Republicans have decided to pull their support, including Arizona Senator Jeff Flake, Colorado Senator Cory Gardner, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam, and Alabama Governor Robert Bentley, just to name a few from a very long list. Some Republicans have even asked him to take his name off the ballot. Paul Ryan, the Speaker of the House, became reluctant to support Trump, saying that he was “sickened” by what Trump said about women, and decided to not campaign with Trump in Wisconsin the following weekend.

On Saturday, Oct. 8, Trump released a video which included a statement and an apology concerning the leaked audio tapes. He began by stating “I never said I’m a perfect person, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not. I’ve said and done things I regret, and the words released today on this more than a decade-old video are none of them.” He continued by saying, “anyone who knows me knows these words don’t reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong, and I apologize.” During the second presidential debate on Oct. 9, Trump defended himself by saying that those words were just “locker room talk.”

Many refused to accept Trump’s apology and claim and that it was all just locker room talk, saying that he was still demeaning to women and promoted sexual assault. Trump is still trying to recover from the tapes and he will have one more chance to clear it all up during the third presidential debate on Oct. 19.

$480
$1000