A sold out Seussical Jr. provides a stage for young actors with special needs

Beverly McCauley
Bobby Bender (left) and James McCauley (right) performing a song in “Seussical Jr.” with the other citizens of Whoville.

Every seat of Augustana’s Brunner Theater was filled on the opening weekend of Feb. 22 for a highly anticipated production that was to be different than the everyday play. The stage was empty, save for a single red-and-white-striped hat sitting on the ground.  

The show was Seussical Jr. and its stars were all young adults with special needs.

Seussical Jr. is the third annual production with the QC Penguin Project. The QC Penguin project is a program designed to empower young adults with special needs to shine through theater. In fact, the name of this program is telling of what it hopes to accomplish.

Beverly McCauley and her son, James, are involved with the Penguin Project. She explained what the name means. “Penguins are birds that are considered different because they are one of the only birds that can’t fly. But, when you put them in the right environment, they soar.”

The same could be said of the students that are involved in this program. As Beverly McCauley stated, “It’s amazing to have something like this for these young adults, a place where they can shine. In high school they played a supporting role but now they play the star.”

The Penguin Project was started in Peoria, Ill. in 2004 by Andy and Kathy Morgan; it has since expanded to 28 chapters spread out through 15 states. Its chapter in Rock Island is directed by Dino and Tina Hayz and coordinated by Jeff Coussens.

When it started up in Rock Island three years ago, it had 34 participants. Now, it has grown exponentially. This year, it has 91 participants. To Beverly McCauley, this shows the great need and demand for programs like this in the QC.

Through it, the young adults get the chance to shine in ways that had previously not been offered to them. James McCauley, who enjoys participating in the Penguin Project and is an alumnus of PVHS, was excited to be cast as the Grinch in this year’s production.

James McCauley’s experience has been a positive way to combine his love of singing and spending time with good friends. It also provides a social outlet post-high school. “I like doing the performance. I like singing a lot and I get to spend a lot of time with friends. I could only do that at school [previously],” he said.

His mother reiterated this point. “This has been a growth experience for James. I don’t think he knew how much he would like it and how he’s had fun. Here they are celebrated for who they are, and the Penguin Project helps keep his social outlets and opportunities going. Before, he had to wait for the school year for them.”

Paige Hawbaker agreed regarding the positivity of this program. Hawbaker, another alumna of PV, has been involved in the Penguin Project since its creation three years ago. She said, “I love it. Watching people perform and understand is what it’s all about. Watching people sing and dance made me want to do it.”

This year Hawbaker was playing a bird girl, a good role for her because she loves to sing and dance. However, her favorite role she has ever played was Lily in Annie Jr. This year, Hawbaker had a good mix of excited and nervous emotions. She was excited to demonstrate her knowledge of the role but had the typical butterflies in the stomach.

Two current PV students, Bobby Bender and Sidney Mudd, were also involved in this year’s production. Both played Whoville citizens and expressed great excitement about their performances. Mudd desired to become involved after witnessing the production two years ago, and entered the program last year, playing a fork in Beauty and the Beast.

Although this was Bender’s first year, it didn’t stop his excitement. One of his favorite parts of the production is the traditional dance party at the end of the production, an annual rendition of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin.”  

However, these student’s interest is not the only thing that drives them. They have to be very dedicated and work hard in order to achieve what they do. Their season starts each November with rehearsals two times every week for an hour and a half.

After three months of practice, the group had already held three of their annual six performances, all of which were sold out. Their final performances of the year are the weekend of March 1.

Their commitment does not stop there. This season, when many snow days meant canceled rehearsals, Sebastian Bladel (another PV alumnus) and Sarah Davis took matters into their own hands. Since the two had roles with many speaking and singing lines, they felt the need to practice and found the best way was over Facetime. Their commitment to their craft extended outside of the typical rehearsal times, demonstrating their level of dedication.

The Penguin Project utilizes a unique component, different from any other show in the area. Mentors are paired with the performers to assist them with their music, dances, and staging. For many actors, these mentors accompany them on stage during their performance.

These mentors are youth from the area who build special and close bonds with the actors they are accompanying. They each show commitment and support to their artist–and the artists recognize that.

Each of the performers expressed their appreciation for their mentors. Hawbaker and her mentor, Layla Eygabroad, have been partners for three years. In those three years, they have built a strong friendship. Hawbaker said, “We are really close. The first time we met it was weird and I didn’t know what to expect, but now we are really close.”

James McCauley’s mentor, Kylen Brozovich, has been with him for 2 years. James McCauley expressed appreciation for his friend, citing his many attributes. For example, Kylen shares his love of dinosaurs and listens to him without interrupting.

Melissa Brozovich
A smiling duo of James McCauley (right) and mentor Kylen Brozovich (left) pose together after a performance.

Beverly McCauley echoed the sentiments of both Hawbaker and her son. “Mentors do become friends with their artist. It becomes like a community, like a family. You can see it as a parent. There is awkwardness at first but by the end of it you look around and can’t tell who is the artist and who is the mentor. It is just people having a great time out there, which is probably what matters most.”

The Penguin Project is a special part of the QC community that supports those with special needs. As Beverly McCauley stated, in it “they are celebrated for who they are; everyone is so supportive of each other and of the whole production.”

The Penguin Project’s basic message is summed up in the theme of its show this year, Seussical Jr., which reminds the community: a person is a person, no matter what.