Caroline Christophersen gives back to kids in need

Photo taken by Mary Klingelhoefer
Student Mary Klingelhoefer displays the books she is planning on bringing in for the drive

Senior Caroline Christophersen is beginning her second book drive for underprivileged children in the Quad Cities, and she needs Pleasant Valley students’ help.

Christophersen had many reasons for wanting to start these book drives her freshman year. “I decided to put on a book drive to help elevate the lives of kids in our community. Early reading prepares kids for elementary school; a single book can make the difference for a child’s relationship with school,” she said.

It is a cause Christophersen feels very passionately about. She added, “I know being read to as a child planted the seed for my love of learning and enthusiasm for school, and this seed should be available to all children no matter their economic status.” Her personal experiences have motivated her to encourage participation in the drive as much as possible.

When she started the drive her freshman year, she only collected about 50 books. However, the optimistic Christophersen has big goals for this year.  “I’m hoping to get the word out and raise a lot more this year,” she said, hoping to increase her donations four-fold this year.

Her book drive is taking place from Feb. 25 to March 8, the Friday before spring break. Students are encouraged to bring new or gently-used books to their English classrooms. Books may be for children between ages zero and twelve, including all genres.

Christophersen then takes these books to pediatricians’ offices in impoverished areas throughout the Quad Cities. She loves seeing how her donations have impacted children. “When we bring books to the offices, we put as many as we can on the shelves; and when we come back to bring more books the selves are completely empty.”

Overall early childhood reading leads kids to success in life

— Caroline Christophersen

Christophersen loves seeing children instantly gravitate towards the books as soon as she steps into the offices.  She knew exactly how she wanted to help the underprivileged when starting this drive. “Books are so important, when little kids are more comfortable reading they are more likely to want to read and participate in school. Overall early childhood reading leads kids to success in life,” she said.

Children that read more in childhood are more likely to know how to count higher than 20, write their own name, and read in school. Children that read more throughout elementary school have higher test scores and excel more throughout their whole highschool career.

Teacher Kevin Gaffey is very excited about the book drive. “Developing early childhood literacy skills is very beneficial, there have been many studies done to prove that as well. It improves all aspects of their lives and creates an environment in which they can be successful,” he said.

Christophersen is really looking forward to the drive this year, and cannot wait to see the outcome of it.