More Work, More Stupider

Rishab Verma
Senior Varun Vedula often feels stressed out under his workload.

According to several studies at institutions across the country, there is a confirmed correlation between a decrease in IQ test scores and an increase in stress.

This is an alarming fact for students at all grade levels because it poses a rather serious dilemma. As grade inflation and increasing competition to stand out in schools forces students to accomplish more, those students could be suffering from some side effects of their overexertion.

A study at Georgetown University found, on average, students who experienced several sources of stress scored 13% lower on IQ Tests. Those relatively stress-free scored much higher and maintained better mental acuity. This mental performance also translates to the classroom.

For many students, school is stressful. The constant load from several classes combined with extracurriculars makes for a demanding schedule, and living under this kind of pressure every day can take its toll.

Aman Manazir is a senior at PV who is currently taking several honors and AP classes. In addition, Manazir is involved in band and Math Club after school. He acknowledges the effects his large workload has on him.

“Like anything beneficial, these classes can cause a certain level of stress and anxiety,” Manazir said. “However, I always remind myself that although I’m stressed, the true purpose of this is to learn and even if I don’t perform well on one or two examinations, as long as I am able to grasp the concepts, it’s worth it.”

I always remind myself that although I’m stressed, the true purpose of this is to learn.

— Aman Manazir

Manazir is going through the same problem as students around the globe. His intent is to “learn as much as possible and use that knowledge” to grow, but the stress caused by all of this work may negate many of the benefits of learning in school

This can create difficulties for high achieving students. Should mental health or academic performance be given a higher priority? Senior Jamie Trentz believes it’s possible to find a healthy balance. “My practice and school times are the same everyday, so I plan around those in order to fit everything in,” he said. “I always try to pace myself so that I can get ahead with my homework, rather than procrastinate.”

Students today have a lot on their plate. From difficult classes to sports and extracurriculars, it can become stressful to manage all the responsibilities. It is important, however, to manage this stress. If not limited, this stress can overwhelm and harm the very things it is meant to help.