PV juniors win badminton tournament

Photo by Bri Brauner
Juniors Addie Even and Kayla Nutt won the badminton tournament in their gym class.

Early bird gym’s annual badminton tournament ended last month with juniors Kayla Nutt and Addie Even coming out as champions.

Early bird gym is a class that takes place before the official start of the school day; this deters students who don’t want to wake up earlier than they have to from taking the class. However, Even explained how the badminton tournament gave students a reason to get up and excited for school. “If I am able to get into early bird gym again next year I will most definitely compete in the tournament again. It made waking up early worth it,” she said.

The tournament took place over several weeks with duos playing three to four games every other day. The winning duo only lost one game over the span of the tournament, showcasing their teamwork and badminton skills even while having fun and winning games.

Badminton is sport that is easy to get into, which is part of the reason why Even and Nutt enjoy it. Nutt said, “I like badminton because it is similar to tennis and a fun activity that anyone can participate in.” Even didn’t have the tennis background her partner had, but she was able to work with Nutt and improve at the sport. “I didn’t like badminton at all because I wasn’t good at it, but as Kayla and I started working better together, I started to really enjoy it,” Even said.

The partner aspect of the game makes badminton a popular team-bonding activity. Even and Nutt found that working together helped them play better and have a more enjoyable gym class.

Early bird gym begins before school every other day and can be signed up for next year through a counselor. It is a fun and relaxed environment with games and tournaments throughout the year and encourages students to be active and work together. Be sure to congratulate Even and Nutt on their victory.

$480
$1000