Give yourself some credit

College courses students can take while still in high school

Pleasant Valley High School wants to best prepare students for whatever educational or career paths they want to take after graduating high school. Pleasant Valley uses their resources to take learning outside the walls of the high school. Valerie Tucker, counselor, is one of many high school counselors at Pleasant Valley that helps students to be prepared for their next steps in life.

Tucker mentions, “students are also potentially able to take classes at SCC through either the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act (PSEO) or Dual Enrollment. Through PSEO, school districts in Iowa pay for courses at the community college that are not available in the high school. In order to be eligible, students must have exhausted the high school curriculum in a particular subject area. This determination is made by the school/district administration.  Likewise, students can choose to take classes through Dual Enrollment that do not meet the PSEO regulations and are not already taught at PVHS. The difference here is that the school district can award high school credit for these courses, but cannot pay for them.” This allows students the opportunity to have an educational experience beyond what the high school can provide them.

Although students have the opportunity, Tucker also comments, “scheduling often prevents students from being able to go to SCC or the Blong Technology Center during the day to take classes.  We are very fortunate to have PV staff who meet the additional qualifications needed to teach college level courses. This gives high school students an opportunity to earn college credit at no cost without having to leave the building. Students must understand that, even though they are still in high school, they are creating a college transcript and college GPA by taking dual credit courses at PV or SCC. Not doing well in those classes could have some potentially serious ramifications when it comes to college admission and financial aid.” This opportunity allows students at Pleasant Valley an easier way to accumulate some college credit and other career oriented experiences.

Tucker believes that college credit can be a great thing for students, but Tucker says, “my advice for any student is to work with his/her counselor during scheduling/registration to determine if PSEO or Dual Enrollment is a good academic fit. The PVHS counselors have a great deal of knowledge and experience with college courses, but we are not collegiate academic advisors and cannot guarantee the transferability of credits. It is helpful for students to have some idea of future goals and plans in order to research classes that would be appropriate for them.” Maggie Cory, senior, is currently taking a class at Scott Community College. Cory stated, “I will be going into college with over 30 credits. This will help me not have too stressful of semesters while in college and help with the cost.”

Pleasant Valley has a unique way to prepare students for their future endeavors. With the school district’s commitment to excellence, they don’t fall short when striving to give students an environment where they are able to achieve academic excellence.