The HERoes of pop-culture

Photo taken by Jeanelle Cho
Senior Daniela Rybarczyk wearing a “Wonder Woman” shirt in support of International Women’s Month.

As women all across the world celebrate International Women’s Month, there are many women across many different platforms that should be recognized, one of the platforms being movies: the heroes of cinematics.

“Captain Marvel,” which came out on International Women’s Day, is the most recent movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movie has not only has broken records, such as highest grossing film starring a female, but has continued to inspire women all across the world.

While “Captain Marvel” is the first Marvel movie to star a female, another female hero made her debut on the big screen in 2017 in the DC Universe. “Wonder Woman,” a movie embracing female empowerment, made a cinematic milestone by being the first superhero movie that starred and was directed by women.

Movies such as “Captain Marvel” and “Wonder Woman” have not only broken records but also stereotypes. Previously, women mainly played supporting roles that were two-dimensional. However, these movies feature women who are strong and independent but who also have their own struggles.

While DC and Marvel have been known to have comic rivalry, the women from their respected movies do not seem to be in competition. Instead, in women supporting women style, Gal Gadot, who plays Wonder Woman, posted a drawing of the two heroes on her Instagram Story with the following caption: “I’m so happy for you, sister! Congrats.”

Senior Daniela Rybarczyk, who is both a Marvel and DC fan, commented on the impacts these movies have made. “I loved what these women stand for. When women get on this huge platform as strong, independent figures, it feels as if I can accomplish anything.”

Strong female characters have inspired many women across the world. “These women in pop culture are incredible role models for young girls growing up. Women aren’t just confined to a stereotypical secretary job anymore,” Rybarczyk stated. “Women are now able to do things that were once only allowed for men.”

Senior Nikki Chang agrees with Rybarczyk. Chang believes women in pop culture have taught her that she too is just as capable of doing things guys can.

Chang stated, “Girl power definitely a message I think [women in pop culture] convey because they want to be a positive role model on the women and girls of the younger generations and show that women can be just as strong and resilient as guys.”