Five dollar fun days, and other inexpensive cures to boredom

With fall days slipping away and colder weather setting in, a well-known struggle makes its reappearance. It comes in many forms, such as the rainy day blues, the boredom of a chilly day, and the usual game of “I don’t know, what do you want to do?”. If your friend group can’t think of anything fun to do that doesn’t involve shopping or going out to eat, leave it up to the following list to solve your weekend boredom, all while spending as little money as possible. Because who wouldn’t love to save a buck or two?

1.) Have a baking party.

Who doesn’t love sweets? Invite all your friends into your kitchen for a baking extravaganza, because the more hands in the kitchen the better. Whether you make cupcakes or cinnamon rolls, most people already have staples such as flour, sugar, baking soda, etc. already in their pantries, so the amount you may have to spend at the grocery store should be relatively low. It’s a great way to bond with your friends, and the best part of it all is eating the delicious treats.

2.) Have a game night.

Whether you’re interested in video games, or you enjoy board games, any competitive person can’t turn down an opportunity to show off their skills. If you’re really into it, you could host a competition complete with prizes, but if you’re in it just for fun it’s a great (and free) way to have fun with your friends.

3.) Go ice skating.

“I used to go [ice skating] and it was cheap,” says junior Madisyn Kirkhove. At The River’s Edge, an indoor sports area in downtown Davenport that offers freestyle ice skating to the public, admissions for public skating is only $5. If you’re not afraid of the ice and you’re looking for something fun and active to do, ice skating is a perfect and affordable option.

4.) Have a spa day.

Don’t spend a fortune at the local spa. Instead, create one in your home that you and friends can enjoy, without emptying your wallet. Create a DIY face mask with ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, pamper yourselves with mani-pedis, and create a relaxing atmosphere with some candles and relaxing music. Relaxation has never been easier.

5.) Have a movie night.

It may seem obvious, but there’s nothing wrong with going back to a classic. Create a cozy space for all of your friends (with lots of blankets and pillows) and rent a couple of movies from Redbox. If you return the movie the next day, each movie only costs $1.50. To rent a couple of movies and grab some microwave popcorn is a fun, inexpensive, and classic way to cure your boredom.

6.) Have a bonfire.

Combat the colder temperatures with a warm, soothing fire. “It doesn’t cost much, as long as you have wood,” says senior Rachael Souhrada. “It’s just a really fun thing to do with your friends.” Even if you don’t have wood, a fire starter log is around $9 at Walmart, which is pretty cheap. Grab some marshmallows and a couple of your friends and host a cozy bonfire where you can tell scary stories, talk about life, or just bond with your friends.

7.) Have a craft day.

If you and your friends are an artsy bunch, crafts are right up your alley. Hit up stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael’s to see what’s on sale. Items like mason jars and mod podge can go a long way. Look up cute projects on Pinterest and other websites; there’s tons of them that require little material and just your creativity. Invite your friends over for a party full of craft-making and fun.

Hopefully your case of weekend boredom has at least somewhat of a cure. If not, there’s always the option of studying for that test you have next Tuesday!