Students use stickers to stand out from the crowd

Kylie Stanborough, a PV sophomore, advertises the creativity of her friends’ sticker-personalized water bottles during lunch.

Photo taken by Lilly Parker

Photo taken by Lilly Parker

Photo taken by Lilly Parker

Lilly Parker, Copy Editor

In high school, it’s difficult to be perceived as different than the rest of the student population. However, the latest trend makes it easy for students to show their true colors and has been spreading like wildfire around PVHS.

This empowering movement consists of unapologetically original students expressing their inner emotion and personality through stickers. In fact, it is so popular that it would be strange to go a day without seeing a student at PV with a laptop or water bottle filled to the edges with vibrant, meaningful stickers.

The craze originated from redbubble.com, a website featuring unique artists from around the world showcasing all mediums of their work. One of the most affordable options offered on the site is stickers. They range in style from inspirational drawings to famous memes and movie quotes. When someone buys these stickers, they offer others a look into their world, point of view, and favorite things.

Senior Joslyn Schafer is a strong proponent of individuality and was one of the first students to bring this movement to PVHS. “I chose to put stickers on my laptop because they show a side of my personality that isn’t typically seen and set me apart from others at school,” she said.

Schafer’s laptop displays a variety of fun topics along with a few stickers representing causes that are important to her. For example, a “save the bees” sticker is the centerpiece of her laptop’s artwork theme. This represents her involvement in PV’s Environmental Club and her passion for preserving the Earth’s wellbeing.

Another PV student who supports the uncommon sticker art created by artists on Redbubble is senior Grace Babka. Although she is a new member to the exclusive sticker revolution, Babka has covered her Apple computer and Hydro flask with artwork that represents her current interests and hopes for the future.

For Babka, the most inspiring part of choosing which stickers to buy was remembering the things that are truly important to her. Although the stickers’ main purpose is to make her laptop look cute, each one she purchased has sentimental meaning to her. “They represent something important to me. Every sticker has a little story as to why I bought it,” she said.

At the end of the day, Babka believes this trend is still burning because “it gives people a chance to express themselves,” she said. Not only does this movement support artists globally, but it empowers individuals to express themselves in every way they can: especially through stickers.

About the Writer
Lilly Parker, Copy Editor

My name is Lilly Parker and I am a Copy Editor for the Spartan Shield online. I am a senior at Pleasant Valley High School, and in the past four years...