Get some inspiration for Prom from these Turnabout outfits

Spencer(left) and Solange(right) pose for a photo before they head out to enjoy the Turnabout dance
Photo taken by Nate Clark

As Prom quickly approaches, students can take a few fashion tips from this year’s Turnabout dance with the new and unique styles displayed on the PV’s dance floor.

Students have been very excited to attend Prom this year. Some of them have already begun to look for dates and, in turn, outfits for the dance. Take a look back at this year’s Turnabout dance, “Let’s Glow Crazy”, to get some fashion inspiration for Prom this year.

Senior Ruth Davidson wore a stunning maroon robe to this year’s Turnabout dance complete with a suede material to give it an even classier look. Ruth’s goal with the dress was “to find something that was still trendy but different from the typical dress that everyone else wears.”

She finished her outfit with bold accessories, including gold earrings and bracelets. Ruth said, “I was super happy the way that it turned out, and I was trying to go for something unique but still chic.”

Junior Brady Sexson was decked out in a very laid back outfit at Turnabout this year. Brady explained, “I chose it because you see most guys just wearing the same black pants, white shirts, leather dress shoes, and a colored tie and so I knew I didn’t want something basic.”

His lack of a tie and unconventional plaid pants that matched his date’s outfit shows off just how modern his outfit was. He finished off his look with a pair of simple black slip-ons without socks showing. “I liked that I always do something different and express myself through how I dress”, said Brady.

Solange and Spencer were a special duo at the Turnabout dance, matching in a beautiful black and maroon combo. Their outfits played off each other well, using the velvet to bring the look together.

Spencer began the search for their Turnabout outfits by finding a beautiful maroon jacket. “I knew that I wanted to wear a blazer to turnabout, and I also wanted to try something a bit out there, but my dad was ultimately the one who suggested velvet. He is my go-to for fashion advice, and he sent me a link to a cool website called ASOS where I found the awesome jacket,” said Spencer.

Solange then followed along, finding a beautiful piece to match his. “I wanted to base my outfit around my date’s jacket because it was turnabout! So he sent me the velvet jacket and I knew I needed to go velvet as well,” she said.

Spencer continued, “I loved wearing it! It made me feel really fancy, and I loved peoples’ reactions whenever they’d bump into me and feel the fabric.” He encourages others to give fashion a chance, saying “I think more people should experiment with fashion. It’s really fun!”

So this year at Prom, don’t be afraid to try something new. There are plenty of different options available. Wearing a classic tuxedo or dress is not the only choice. Maybe change up the shoes, add some accessories, or even wear a flashy jacket. A small change can go a long way.