PV Palooza makes plans to support children in need

NHS member Alexa Karzin (left) and NHS co-president Susan Anil (right) discuss party planning for the upcoming PV Palooza.

Annie Warner

Annie Warner

Annie Warner

Annie Warner, Copy Editor

The PV Palooza fundraiser will be this Saturday, April 13 from 6pm to 8:30pm at Pleasant Valley High School. PV’s chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) organizes and hosts this event each year; this year’s fundraising efforts will support the Quad City Children’s Therapy Center (CTC).

PV Palooza always promises several exciting events to participate in and watch, ranging from large group activities to small group games. This year’s activities include a dodgeball tournament, video game competitions, live music, improv performances, lawn games, jenga, and face painting. NHS members also provide a variety of food for people to enjoy at the event. Once attendees pay the admission of $10, they have access to all these events.

The CTC, the organization this PV Palooza will support, provides physical, occupational, speech, and feeding therapy for children ranging mainly from newborns up to five-year-olds. As their website says, the CTC is dedicated to helping children with disabilities “reach their highest level of independence.”

“We often see kids and their families at their worst: when they have just learned that their child has a life-altering or life-threatening condition,” the website said. “Rather than focusing on a child’s limitations, we focus on what he/she can do with appropriate therapy and consistent effort.”

The National Honor Society is dedicated to serving these types of organizations and communities. NHS consists of high school students who “have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character,” as the NHS website stated. With a multifaceted application process including an essay, recommendations, and GPA requirements, NHS members prove to be committed students who care about making a difference in the community.

Ashley Lie-atjam, a senior inducted into NHS last year, commented on NHS and their fundraising efforts. “I feel like PV Palooza does a lot of good work for our school,” she said. “They do a great job of getting us involved in fundraising efforts at a young age.”

With several events and activities planned for the evening, PV Palooza is certain to be a great time of fun and fundraising. On April 13, from 6pm to 8:30pm, make sure to drop by PV Palooza and contribute to a great cause.

Annie Warner, Copy Editor

Hi! I’m Annie Warner, a copy editor for the Spartan Shield Online. Outside of school, I play and teach both violin and piano. I also participate in PVHS...