The making of the Valenian

Photo taken by Shield Staff
Co-Editors-in-Chief, Haley Moore and Maya McClain, pose together at the University of Iowa’s fall journalism conference hosted by the IHSPA.

With the school year coming to a close, many end-of-the-year moments are starting to arise.

The Valenian, better known as PV’s yearbook, is starting to be wrapped up as its staff work hard to turn it into a finished product.

With a staff of page designers and a whole year to fit in a book, Editors-in-chief Maya McClain and Haley Moore had much to say about the making of this year’s yearbook.

Directing the path this book takes can be stressful but holds many perks. McClain expanded on this. “We get to give students something filled with memories that they keep forever. We try to cover as many people as possible to make it treasurable,” McClain said.

Moore detailed the process of the making of the Valenian.“We have to generate a theme to incorporate throughout the book before starting. Then, we have to consider changes that we want to see from the past year’s book that will improve our standard,” said Moore. “After putting the general design in, we need to seek all the information needed to fill the page,” she continued.

The yearbook’s designs are generated from a class called publications, with Maureen Dyer as an adviser. A common misconception is that this project is done entirely in class; however,  this is not the case. McClain explained, “Especially being editor in chief, the yearbook is a huge time commitment. The end of the year is crunch time, so it’s important to be working on it entirely throughout the year.”

But, with this significant time commitment comes a very rewarding conclusion. And, although there is so much to do, Moore said, “When we work as a team, we always get the job done.”

Another aspect that Moore finds valuable is the level of information she learns about the school through the making of the Valenian. “Whether that be meeting new people, finding out about a new club, or just learning about an unfamiliar event, it is a very fun experience,” she said.

McClain continued, “I’ve loved watching the progress we have made this year and seeing our improvement from previous years to help create such an important memory.” Moore and McClain, along with the publication staff, have spent this year cultivating an amazing Valenian that students will be able to hold close to for a lifetime.