From sophomore to freshman: A 15-year-old PV student transitions to college

Photo taken by Lalitha Srinivansan
Sophomore, Priyanka Srinivasan, spending her last semester in the Quad Cities before transitioning to the University Of Iowa

Many seniors are making final preparations for their post-secondary journey this fall, and Pleasant Valley sophomore Priyanka Srinivasan has decided to embark on that journey herself.

As a 15-year-old, Srinivasan was accepted into Bucksbaum Academy, a program at the University of Iowa which allows students to transfer from high school to college after their sophomore year. Srinivasan said, “Essentially, a college freshman can use college classes to meet their high school requirements in an accelerated time span.”

This program takes in sophomores who exceed the standards of an average student. “To get accepted, I had to send in my ACT scores, write a couple of essays, and lastly, have an interview,” Srinivasan explained.

According to its website, the early entrance college program at the University of Iowa’s Belin-Blank Center requires its applicants to have earned a composite score on the ACT, or other standardized test, at or above the 95th percentile in addition to earning a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher. Srinivasan met the requirements and chose to apply to the academy.

Transitioning from high school to college is a typical process for many students, but being 15 changes things. Srinivasan’s mother, Lalitha Srinivasan, can appreciate this opportunity. “My family and I believe that it is good recognition for Priyanka’s hard work and commitment to become a doctor,” she said.

Srinivasan agreed with her mother. “Transitioning will be difficult, as I will miss my family and friends, but everyone will be going through the same situation as me in the program,” she said.

With all of the fears which accompany moving on to the next chapter in her life, there are also so many exciting moments to which Srinivasan is looking forward. “I am most excited to meet new people and walk around the campus,” she said.

This program additionally gives students a unique scope into the future career they want. Srinivasan’s dream is to become a pediatrician. She said, “Being challenged with these accelerated courses will best teach me more about my future career plan.”

Transitioning to college is a huge change, especially for someone so young. However, this opportunity offers a headstart to Srinivasan’s future. With all of these upcoming exciting moments and new experiences, Srinivasan is ready for this new chapter of her life.