Furry friend helps students find their “mojo”

Morgan Miller
Mojo is a service dog who helps high schoolers with depression and anxiety.

He’s a golden retriever and the only animal allowed at Pleasant Valley High School. Most students, though, know him only as Mojo.

Mojo is a certified therapy dog whose purpose is to help kids at school. Having been in practice since the age of two, he was chosen for service animal training because of his obedience and temperament.

According to special education teacher Gina Weaver, Mojo plays many roles around the school. “He’s got a lot of jobs. He helps individual kids when they’ve got anxiety and depression. He’s also good at just being an ambassador,” she said.

Weaver agrees that his disposition makes him the perfect high school companion. “He just knows if someone’s having a bad day,” she said.

Along with helping students remember to smile through their stressful high school days, Mojo also helps specific students. Students with anxiety or depression often find comfort in snuggling up with a furry animal.

Therapy dogs have been proven to increase school attendance, confidence, mood changes and improved motivation. They can also help students develop social skills and learn trust, which are all important aspects of student success.

Although most students don’t have therapy animals to go home to every night, some do have pets. Pets don’t have the same training or certification as therapy animals, but they can still have lasting effects on high schoolers.

Physically, pets improve cardiovascular health, blood pressure and inspire people to exercise more. They also increase self confidence, lower stress and make people less lonely. Even though they require a lot of care, students can benefit in many ways from their pets.

Junior Sarah Babka agrees that pets are an impactful part of her life. “It’s nice to come home from a stressful day at school to see my dog eager to see me. It calms me down a lot,” she said. “Pets are definitely worth it because they become just another member of the family because of their loyalty and love.”

Whether a pet or a service animal, everyone can find positivity in the comfort of animals.