Google Classroom takeover

Morgan Miller
A student looks at her Google Classroom for upcoming assignments.

Pleasant Valley has started to implement the usage of Google services all across the district. This is due in part to the easy access and convenience of Google. 

From Google Classroom, Drive, Gmail, Google surveys and beyond, there are many ways that students can use the platform. And it’s not just the high school. The elementary schools and junior high are also shifting towards Google use. 

Third through sixth grades in the elementary schools use the Google platform for teacher-student communication and learning. District technology instructional coach, Beth Campbell, commented on the use of Google in younger grades. “It is a powerful way to collaborate with teachers and students, as well as make learning more engaging, interactive, responsive and collaborative,” she said. 

About 50% of high school teachers currently use Google Classroom in their curriculum and that number will likely rise as the technology becomes easier and more user-friendly. Google Classroom is a place for students to see in-class notes, powerpoints, homework assignments or reminders. Each teacher uses it in a unique way to best help their students to succeed in the classroom.

Campbell also talked about how Google allows students to work together to solve problems and share thinking. “When students are working on the same projects, we can share ideas, share the load, and truly bring all talent to the table,” she said. This is one of the many benefits of Google, which allows multiple students to be working on the same document at the same time.

One of the downsides of using Google services is that they are all based on the cloud, which requires an internet connection. For students to even log on to the Chromebooks, a wifi connection is needed. Additionally, it can be hard to transfer between Microsoft and Google as the two services sometimes use incompatible file formats. Their setups are similar, but slightly different.

Senior Kenzie Klatt reflected on how the district has shifted towards more of a technology base just in her four years of high school. “When I was a freshman everything was done on pen and paper and there were only a few things on Google,” Klatt said. “But as my years have progressed throughout high school, I’ve noticed a lot more technology being incorporated.”

As the future of the world becomes more connected with technology, education is bound to follow the same path. With Google, the Pleasant Valley school district is continuing the trend. The numerous features and ease of use make using the Google platform a great experience for teachers and students alike.