Dessert in disguise?

Not too long after most Americans roll out of bed, they opt for early-morning sugar bombs such as donuts and pastries to settle their rumbling stomachs, or they fill their guts with an overwhelming amount of carbs from “meals” like sticky pancakes or uber-sweet cereals. They claim what they are eating is “a part of a balanced breakfast,” but are these items really dessert in disguise?

Cereal company General Mills recently announced it will release Girl Scout Cookie inspired cereals played off the beloved Thin Mints and Caramel DeLites in January of 2017. It’s undoubtedly a dream come true; what human couldn’t be happy about anything related to Girl Scout cookies? But where do we draw the line with what is considered dessert and what is considered breakfast? Should eating a bowl of cookies really be considered a meal? Or should these cereals be stocked up in the dessert aisle right between Chips Ahoy cookies and Little Debbie snack cakes?

Almost everyone has been told at least once in their lives about how eating breakfast is so vitally important. Research shows that eating in the morning can help reduce the risk of obesity, improve metabolism, help you feel more alert in the morning, and even improve your mood. However, not all breakfasts are created equally. Such benefits can only be achieved by eating wholesome and healthy foods. Simply stuffing your face with a sticky donut before going out the door is not going to satisfy what your body is craving in the morning: protein and fiber.

While that donut is being digested, perhaps while you’re sitting in math class, your blood glucose levels spike up due to the massive amount sugar you’ve just consumed. You may feel just fine for a little while, perhaps you may even feel great, but soon after your blood glucose will dramatically drop, causing you to feel groggy, tired, and unfocused. No wonder that trigonometry test seems so confusing.

What you should’ve eaten was something wholesome; something that will keep you full until lunchtime. Eggs, breakfast meats, whole grain bread, and fruits are just some of the many breakfast options that are worlds better than donuts and other related sugar bombs. But where does cereal weigh in?

Most of the beloved staple is loaded with sugar. Froot Loops, Cap’n Crunch, and other favorites can sometimes have almost as much sugar as a candy bar, especially when eaten in the manner most people do. Does anyone really measure ¾ cup (or whatever the serving size is) of cereal? No, they just pour it straight into the bowl. In this case, who knows the actual amount of sugar you are taking in? Regardless, these sugary cereals should not be treated as an everyday breakfast staple. Instead, they should be treated as something more like a sweet indulgence. The same goes for donuts, pastries, and even the new and upcoming Thin Mint and Caramel DeLite cereals. They’re not a meal, just a treat.

“The entire importance of breakfast is that you’re supposed to eat something that gives you energy and benefits your body,” says senior Courtney Chandler. “Donuts and sugary cereals harm you more than they provide for you.”

“Some sugary foods can still give you energy, such as fruit, but items like donuts aren’t well-rounded and healthy,” adds senior Maddux Snook.

So while it is very important to eat in the morning, as opposed to skipping the most important meal of the day, make sure what you are eating is also worthwhile and healthy, not something that will eventually just leave you feeling tired and more hungry.

$480
$1000