A powerful profession

Teachers have a huge effect on kids’ lives whether they teach those who are elementary- or college-aged. When schedules come out for a new school year, students frantically log onto portals to see who they have classes with and what teachers they have. Sometimes they are pleased and other times they are disappointed. Many times, these reactions are based on how well the students believe the teacher is at his/her job. So what makes a teacher “good?”

Danielle Henricksen, senior, says, “The best teachers I have had are the ones who actually care about their students and strive to see them succeed. These teachers put in effort to make learning fun through creative demonstrations, and they provide students with the necessary study tools to succeed in their class. Three of my favorite high school teachers are Mr. Parker, Señorita, and Mr. Spangenberg.”

Teachers should love their subjects. They shouldn’t dread having to come to work and go through the same lessons year in and year out. When a teacher is passionate, they will explain the topic in an energetic way and do whatever it takes to help kids understand.  People with a love for something are motivated to keep learning about it, which is important for teachers to do since it is on them to instruct the future generation filled with curious minds on their subject of expertise.

That being said, they also can’t be opposed to listening and learning from their students. Humility is a quality not to be overlooked. Students should be treated with respect and be allowed to question and point out discrepancies. When teachers actually listen to their kids, it generates respect and better teacher-student dynamics.

Megan Dixon, PV math teacher, explains the importance of believing in students, “I think sometimes the way students perceive a teacher can influence how much effort they put into a class. If they feel like the teacher is not supportive or not helpful, that can kind of become a self-fulfilling prophecy where they just don’t feel like they can be successful, so they don’t try at being successful. That’s why I always try and be positive and point out what students are doing well first even though there’s always room for improvement, then at least they know we’re in it together. It’s more of a team mentality, not an “us vs. them,” so hopefully they can see there is always potential for improvement, even if it’s something you struggle with at the beginning. A perception of their teacher not believing that can shut them down and not make them want to put in the effort.”

It is not unreasonable for counselors to get annoyed of hearing, “I want to switch teachers.” All students’ opinions on what good teaching looks like differs. Some just want a teacher who gives no homework, grades easily, and is funny. Others want a teacher who will push them, yet be helpful and kind. The requests go on and on. The best advice teachers should follow is to remember what brought them into the profession in the first place and always be working on educating themselves on quality teaching and then putting it into practice. Teaching is an essential career, sometimes sadly overlooked, that changes youths’ lives for better or for worse. Let’s make Pleasant Valley a school where teachers get bragged upon for their devotion to the students, not only as learners, but as individuals too.