Put away the razor

No shave November and its origins

“Ew.” “That’s gross.” “Why would you do that?” These are just a few responses you might hear or even declare yourself when you hear the phrase “No Shave November.” However, many times these responses come from little to no knowledge of the cause itself. Yes, No Shave November is a cause, a cause described by the creators of No-shave.org as, “…a month-long journey during which participants forgo shaving and grooming in order to evoke conversation and raise cancer awareness.”

No Shave November is a non-profit organization with the purpose of embracing the hair we have that several cancer patients do not. This spreads the word and shows love and support for those fighting hard battles many of us can’t fathom. Peter Mills, senior, explains his perspective on No Shave November, “It’s super cool that people bring attention to it because hair is something not many of us think about being important, but it’s an important part of our identity.” This is just one reason why growing out your hair can be a great way to spread cancer awareness; hair should not be taken for granted. But it doesn’t stop there. If you want to further your commitment to the cause, make a donation of your choosing to substitute what you otherwise would have spent on hair grooming and styling. A unique way to also help raise cancer awareness is by creating your own fundraising page. You can do this as an individual or a team; regardless, it is for an outstanding cause. The fact you have changed the life of an innocent human being will overwhelm you with joy. Start now by registering at https://no-shave.org/ under the section “Participate.” Participation takes so little, yet the benefits for those fighting go miles beyond what you can imagine.

Now, you might have a conflict– you want to show your support for the cause but also don’t want to look like a caveman. Don’t worry; No-shave.org tells us, “We encourage participation of any kind; grooming and trimming are perfectly acceptable.” Therefore, you can keep yourself looking fresh while still raising awareness for a wonderful organization.

Whether you decide to grow a beard, make a donation, and/or start a fundraising page, any kind of support, big or small, makes all the difference in the world for those who need it most.

$480
$1000