Pleasant Valley’s future physicians meet with professionals

Pleasant Valleys future physicians meet with professionals

On Oct. 18, the Future Physicians of America (FPA) Club from PVHS took a visit to the Bettendorf Eye Surgeons Associates building. Students met with Dr. Tina Eckhardt, ophthalmologist, to speak with her about her profession. After hearing about her job and asking questions about the medical field in general, they also got a chance to tour the facility and got a glimpse at the equipment used in the office.

Opportunities to network with professionals are invaluable, no matter what career. FPA presents these sorts of opportunities to high school students. The Future Physicians of America club is a student-led organization in the Quad City area for those interested in medical sciences and healthcare professions. Its mission is to introduce students to the medical field through experienced professional guest speakers and opening up shadowing and volunteering opportunities. This club aims to create a student medical community in the Quad Cities to better prepare students for certain college programs and future medical careers. The teacher advisor for FPA at Pleasant Valley High School is Mrs. Kvach.

“I really like how we learn about a different topic every single meeting. I enjoy how meetings are very casual, and it’s a way of learning just for the heck of it,” claimed vice-president Sophia Xiao, junior.

In addition to listening to guest speaker physicians, this club also creates an opportunity for students to feel free to create and present a lecture to peers on topics of their choosing. In the past, there have been lectures on basics of biology, organic chemistry, and even genetics.

President Anna Bannerjee, junior, was fascinated and inspired by the genuine passion peoplespecifically medical professionals and doctors had for their jobs. “What I enjoy most about FPA is the forum it presents for people to pursue interest in science and STEM careers; the lectures we hold and mainly the research that goes into them is the perfect place to develop a passion for science and to direct it towards something productive.”

Here’s a glimpse of a few of FPA’s previous activities. Last year, FPA members met with an anesthesiologist, internal medicine doctor, and even held an event to increase diabetes awareness.